We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

With my trip coming up in a couple of weeks I thought I would try to get the experts and those just in-the-know to post what they consider to be the 5 top dive sites that should be visited during a week of vacation.

Since I am a newbie to the sport I'm sure that there are some dive sites that will be conidered too technical for beginners, but I'm still interested in seeing everyones opinions.

Thanks...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,711 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k11721…

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

Me too. I'm also new to diving and we are leaving Aug 16th to the 20th, staying at Fiesta Americana. I would also like to know about the dive sites. Thanks

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

1. Palancar

- Caves

- Gardens

- Bricks

- Horseshoe

2. Colombia Wall

3. Santa Rosa Wall

4. Paradise

5. Punta Tunich

Advanced Sites:

- Punta Sur

- Barracuda

- Maracaibo

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

Antonio,

What makes - Punta Sur, Barracuda and Maracaibo advanced sites? Stronger currents? Deeper?

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

I will certainly agree with Antonio's list. I would break Columbia down into

Columbia Normal

Columbia Deep

Columbia Pinacles

For the advanced sites you are looking at deeper profiles.

Columbia Deep starts around 90 feet. Normally lots of big fish, turtles, lobsters and crabs on these walls.

Punta Sur

Devil's Throat is an opening in the coral that starts around 80 feet and you swim deeper into the coral formations. It is an overhead environment with a couple of tight swimthroughs. It is dark in some of the area and you come out around 130 feet.

Baracuda & Maracibo both have lots of strong currents as well as up and down drafts.

These sites require good air consumption, buoyancy skiils and for you to be comfortable in current. You are going to have a very limited bottom time without going into deco. Ask your divemaster for an honest evauation of your skills and let him tell you if you are ready. If he or she say yes then decide if you're comfortable making these types of dives. If you're not hone your skills and try next time.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

Everyone has their favorites, I like Antonio's list. I think the advanced deeper sites are a bit overrated though. One of my personal favorites every trip winds up being Columbia Shallows. It's only a 30' dive at most, but is just gorgeous as the reef there seems to have miraculously escaped a lot of Wilma's wrath. It looks more like the way Cozumel used to look everywhere. And for photographers, dang, the light there at that depth combined with the life we typically see, it's a freakin dream spot.

Mark

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,711 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

I have to agree with Mark on the overrating of the real deep sites, there is so much more bottom time in many of the shallower sites, and Columbia is a really good one to visit.

Maracaibo, very deep dive, my computer stored 134 feet as the deepest I was at, so the bottom time is short, plus surface conditions can make getting back onto the boat more difficult as you aren't really in the leeward area of the island while that far south.

Punta Sur / Devil's Throut, you enter a cave at about 80 feet deep, swim down gently through it trying not to silt up the cave so those behind you can still see, wait for all the divers to get through & re group, and then if conditions are good & everyone has enough air you might do another cave called Cathedral (it has a cross like formation on the ceiling). The exit depth according to my computer for the throat is 120 feet at the top & 128 feet at the floor, and you are looking straight down into the abyss.

Barracuda, very fast current, all divers MUST descend as a group or it will get split up before you get down, and you must stay as a group, or everyone has to go up so as not to loose anyone to the current. Swimming back into the current will really empty your tank quickly.

Hope that helps, since for me bottom time outweighs bragging rights about how deep I went.

oklahoma
Level Contributor
653 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

Twin's better half again:

Have to agree with Antonio also. All of the palancar dives are good, with Gardens being my favorite. Paradise is usually a good second, or afternoon, but tends to get crowded sometimes. Do a night dive at Paradise.

A few of this years pics.

…webshots.com/user/l...host=community

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

Mark, thanks for your opinion on Columbia, it gives me hope! My depth has been limited in the last years and I'm going back next week and was afraid that there wouldn't be a lot to see at a shallow depth. I have been researching the reefs to see the best for me and Columbia Shallows was on that list, but it''s always good to get that personal opinion.......Thanks

Pat

oklahoma
Level Contributor
653 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 Top Dive Sites on Cozumel

Try link again

community.webshots.com/user/lkyman…