We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise ship snorkelers

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
florida
6 posts
Save Topic
cruise ship snorkelers

we are going to cozumel in 2 weeks and need advice...we want to snorkel but need to know where, how much...we don't want to do an excursion from the ship!....also...what about night diving...any other tips from former cruise shippers would be appreciated!!!

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise ship snorkelers

We stayed at the Coral Princess (CP) and the snorkeling right off the resort was better than any boat trip. It's a 30 peso taxi ride from the ferry to the CP. Just walk through the lobby, go down the stairs and you'll be on the pool deck. Go around the deck and down the stairs right into the water. Buy a few beers at the bar and I'm sure they won't have a probelm with you using "their" water.

Most of the snorkeling trips will pick you up from either the main pier, same one the ferries use. Or they will pick you up closer to the cruise ships, if you arrange for this prior to arrival.

For a paid trip I highly recommend the crew from Fury Catamarans. 5 Stars is not enough to rate our experience with the Fury boat and crew. We went out on a 4 hour sail with Jorge and the rest of the Crew in December. We went to 2 dive sites and a private beach for lunch and beach activities. They offer a great BBQ'd Burger and pasta and potato salad. All the beer, adult drinks and sodas you could ever want.

I am new to snorkeling, but try to do it everyday when I am on vacation. This was the best of our 3 trips in the Cozumel area. And better than any of the 6 trips we took in the Cayman Islands.

They open the bar on the boat as soon as they leave port, I for one don't drink before snorkeling, so we stayed with sodas until our dives were complete. The Fury was the only place in Mexico that offered real (U.S. style) Diet Pepsi, my wifes favorite.

The two dive sites were incredible and beautiful in different ways. One was rather shallow 10-15 feet deep and teeming with fish. The other was 35-50 feet deep and had the most amazing rock and coral formations. Both spots offered great opportunities to interact with the fish and take lots of underwater photos.

On the way back to port the crew and passengers all danced and had a great time. This was a great way to top off and end our 4 hour sail.

I bought a 4 cell light in Coz ($40) for night snorkelling and was amazed at how much you could see at night in the water. Some of the Scuba shops do organized night dives. Not sure if anyone does any night snorkeling tours. I went on my own just off the Coral Princess.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise ship snorkelers

Search back a few pages for my post "helpful snorkeling information for your first trip to Cozumel" for just about everything you need to know. There are even links to maps.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise ship snorkelers

If your ship goes into the International Cruise ship pier (the one furthest south of town) there is a 1/2 Senior Frogs off of the pier & to the left - there is a beach area there that is adjacent to the roped in area off of the LaCeiba hotel. My husband and I stayed there in February of 2004 & snorkeled quite a bit - there was always something different to see (the plane wreck is just past the north side of the ropes). One day I saw a spotted ray - we saw a pair of squid - saw an octopus - & of course there were many fish everytime we went down.

If you are interested in scuba diving - there is an operator also right there next to the same beach - his name is Dive with Martin (search google for his web site) - very reasonable rates (includes all the equipment) & always takes small groups out - my husband dove 8 tanks in 2004 & 12 tanks in 2005 with him and was very happy.

AUSTIN
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise ship snorkelers

A possibility--day pass at the Park Royal, its a block walk from the cruise ship dock, its all day thing, they are remodeling the PR so not sure about the pass, but the beach area is open anyway, look for the dive boat dock, sorry forget name and dive in, its right beside it, small beach cove-area, would be free, the all-day pass for $28 included AI for the day....snorkeling here really reat there is a sunken airplane right off the beach, you can see the cruise boat from here, its only yards away, snorkeling here is as good as anywhere I have been to on or off shore..

Collegedale...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise ship snorkelers

If cost is an issue, take a taxi to Playa Corona Beach....one of the BEST beaches to snorkel on the island and it's FREE, except for a $2.00 marine park fee. They have little covered tables and as long as you purchase something and/or tip your waiter, they will keep an eye on your gear while you are in the water. GREAT place with showers, too.

If you want a small intimate experience with GREAT guides then go with Eagle Ray Divers. They only take 15 people MAX and they are very reasonable. I love Cozumel and go at least once a year and Eagle Ray is the BEST operation I have found thus far!

Now if you want the "party" boat and don't mind 100 pair of feet in your face when you snorkel, then Fury is a GREAT trip, too! Just a matter of what you prefer and how much money you want to spend.

Here is the web site for Eagle Ray, and please tell Chellie that Suzanne sent you, if you decide to book with them. I assure you...they will take GREAT care of you and you will NEVER forget your time spent with them!!

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/index.htm

HAVE FUN!!