We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waze on the island?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Waze on the island?

I havent tried the waze app on the island so I was wondering if anyone has and if it works? I searched and the question hasnt been asked. I also searched on google and some have said it does and some said it doesnt work. If it does work it would be awesome for new people to the island because waze is the bomb.

19 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waze on the island?

Use Google maps didn't have any problem with it

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waze on the island?

Thanks for that info Jose. I don’t actually need maps to get around this is for other travelers that might want to us waze.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waze on the island?

Is Google maps accurate for finding restaurants, etc?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waze on the island?

Not sure I only use waze.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,901 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waze on the island?

Never really thought to check but a good question. I would assume since Waze is Google owned and Google is available , Waze would also be available. Just a guess, though.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waze on the island?

Waze and Google maps work very well in Mexico, and Cozumel is no exception. Where some people have problems is with data. Suppose you are using a plan from home that offers free roaming in Mexico or you purchase some sort of package for international roaming data with your plan. It will work, but know that with data the network you are roaming on (usually Telcel) will always prioritize traffic to it's own customers over roaming ones, so in higher usage areas expect slower speeds and weaker signals unless you have phone with a Mexican Sim and plan.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waze on the island?

Google maps works great throughout Yucatán. Just be sure to accept the pre-trip download for areas where a cell signal doesn’t exist.

I’ve tried google maps on the island and it is pretty accurate. Burger House’s location might still be wrong, though.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,901 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waze on the island?

I downloaded the Waze app just to test and, as Eric said, it works fine on the island. Doubt I will ever use it here but thought I would verify for myself.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waze on the island?

Thanks everyone, its nice to know for newbies on the island that want to find their way they have options to do so.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waze on the island?

Google Maps has correctly-labeled roads. Many POI's, though, are misplaced. If a business has placed their own POI (and you can usually tell if the POI has properly-formatted contact information, mentions WhatsApp, etc.) it's probably accurate, but some POI's are almost hilariously wrong.

Apple Maps is right sometimes, but it's too often wrong for me to use.

Waze is iffy on the island, because it relies on people to mark POI's accurately. Residents probably can, visitors usually use too much guesswork.

Reply to: Waze on the island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted