We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling at the palace

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling at the palace

Staying here now.

Any snorkelling from here?

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
371 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling at the palace

Hey Susan! Catamaran tours usually offer snorkling at 2 different locations. Be sure to look out for tours that include El Cielo. It is an incredibly beautiful spot with shallow, crystal clear blue water. Great for swimming and spotting starfish.

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling at the palace

The snorkeling in front of palace is usually good. Get Luis the lifeguard to tell you where is best. Say hello to him from me, and Heri at the pool.

Claude Dill

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling at the palace

It's decent. Best is going to be close to the shore, but be careful not to let the waves push you in too far. It's about 10 ft deep there. They have one of those newish full face snorkel masks for you to try out, people seem to like it a lot. Just ask.

Martinez, California
Level Contributor
397 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling at the palace

I saw some interesting stuff in front of the Palace while I was staying at El Cantil (next door) last spring. I don't know how comfortable you are in the water, but if you have fins and are a moderately good swimmer, it's well worth swimming north a bit, past El Cantil, to the north end of the lot next door--kind-of in front of where the buildings start again. You will see the ruins of the old dolphinarium under water, and there a usually a TON of fish there, many of them quite large.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
188 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling at the palace

If you use the rock stairs on the south end, be aware and alert of some fire coral there. It hurts like heck if you bump into it. Trust me. 😢🙁

Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling at the palace

I too have experienced the fire coral near the rock stairs at Cozumel Palace. The life guard was quick to bring vinegar to the rescue.

Level Contributor
1,383 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling at the palace

Where is the fire coral relative to the rock stairs?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling at the palace

I also stay away from the ropes. There is fire coral, or something really "stickery", all over it. Not at the Palace, but I've seen different places have someone in the water, using their hands, to slide along the rope and clean it off....

Got be be one of THE WORST jobs on the planet! :(

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
188 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling at the palace

Uphill, as you're looking at the stairs from the water, it was to the right. I would have been ok if a wave hadn't bumped me as I was getting out. I had no idea at the time what happened but it hurt so bad I was sure I was going to bleed to death when I got out. Imagine my shock when something hurt that bad and there was no blood! 🤔😯😮 Life lesson #3,984.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
483 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkelling at the palace

Does fire coral have a specific appearance that is recognizable?

Reply to: Snorkelling at the palace
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted