We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best emergency care for allergic reactions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Best emergency care for allergic reactions

Hello,

My young son has severe allergic reactions to peanuts and eggs. We will be travelling with our epipens, but want to know the best emergency care for follow up (if we have a reaction) on Cozumel. Looking online I found Cozumel International Hospital, but want to ensure I have the best information.

Thank you for helping me to feel safe travelling with our son with ana allergies!

5 replies to this topic
fort worth
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best emergency care for allergic reactions

I think Costamed is the one I hear great things about and where Andrea who is a Canadian nurse living on the island works at. She helps with relations between tourist patients and the hospital professionals as there are some differences.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4,376 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best emergency care for allergic reactions

I've been treated at Costamed...CMC is what they called it. Much better than I've been treated at home, I wish they were nearby. Excellent care and nearly immediate service, and much less expensive than I would have thought. Highly recommend!

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best emergency care for allergic reactions

There are several hospitals on the island. They're all good. I and family members have been treated at Costamed/CMC and at Medica San Miguel. I'm a physician so I pay a lot of attention to how emergency services run - either of these places will give you very good care. I've had friends treated at the IMSS hospital, and that's been good, as well. Mexican doctors are well-trained in things such as managing anaphylaxis.

In Cozumel, ambulances are linked to specific hospitals and won't take you to a different one. If you want to go to a specific facility, you need to call their ambulance. Most restaurants and public places have emergency numbers posted on their walls.

fort worth
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best emergency care for allergic reactions

Good info Mark. Gracias.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best emergency care for allergic reactions

Thank you. I feel better having this info, although I hope not to need it!

Reply to: Best emergency care for allergic reactions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted