We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maga Stuff

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wisconsin Dells...
Level Contributor
340 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Maga Stuff

Cabbed to Maga to stock the condo,awesome place I highly recommend the bakery dept. You grab a large tray and tongs pick out what you want and someone will then wrap it and price it. They have pretty much anything you want kind of like a walmart. I bought 3 big bottles of the meds I take for my acid reflux at about 1/5 the cost at home. Picked up noodles for the pool at a dollar a piece.Large produce,deli,meat and seafood depts. Beer, soft drinks, water and everything else very reasonable. Buy local products and don't forget to tip the baggers. I gave ours about $5 and she just lit up.

30 replies to this topic
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maga Stuff

We love Mega. We stop every time we visit even if we don't need anything, just to check out the fruit selection, bakery and fresh fish area. It's fun to take a child there to show them what they may not normally see at home at the grocer. Of course, we always spend lots of $$$ there. But never need anything, LOL! Great place to buy pure vanilla, coffee, etc for souvenirs.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maga Stuff

We too love Mega. One of my favorite things to do is to cruise by the seafood area there in the back of the store and see what bizarre creatures they have for sale. Not uncommon to see a decent-sized southern ray up there, whole, on ice.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,406 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maga Stuff

I like Mega, but the produce can be spotty in terms of freshness and availability. I think some of the reason is that restaurants use Mega for produce and buy up entire product lines.

I use my own shopping bags and meticulously separate the produce and breads from the canned and hard goods on the conveyor. It all just gets tossed into the same bags. No one knows how to correctly bag food to protect it. I recognize the baggers are volunteers, but just a little training would help!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,847 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maga Stuff

I have also done most of my shopping at the Mega store. Takes me awhile to do because I first shop for fruits and vegetables and then take a break in the coffee area for a coffee and pastry before continuing the shopping.

Really a task I enjoy. I usually go there by bus and return by taxi. Very easy because the man who works in front always meets me at the bottom of the escalator and takes everything to put in the taxi for me.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
423 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maga Stuff

We always went to Mega too. Lots of selection and prices are not too bad! This last summer we were in Cozumel for three months, and went to Chedraui. We actually like it there more than Mega. We found it easier to navigate through, and found a lot more itms there than at Mega. I guess it’s all personal preference, but we do all our shopping at Chedraui. We are back this December for a few mo ths again, and Chedraui will be one of our first stops!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maga Stuff

You tipped the bagger $5. U.S.?

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maga Stuff

I usually tip around 50 pesos, knowing that's more than usual, just to see the reaction. Last trip I paid for the kid's ice cream bar behind me in line at Sedena. The vibe of Cozumel brings out the good in us, I guess LOL.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maga Stuff

We love Mega too. My wife and kids love the bakery section, they get that metal tray and just start filling it up. You can find anything and everything at Mega, plus the magnetized escalator is pretty cool. Chedrai I know some people love it but it just wasnt our cup of tea, seemed closed in and unsanitary with raw chicken just sitting out on crushed ice in the middle of the aisle. Ive been and lived all over the world and never saw that before. Pass.

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
4,926 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maga Stuff

bigdave: that escalator freaked us out the first time! We had two full carts for 7 of us at a villa and they were heavy. I was driving the lead cart and got a death grip on that thing because if it got away on that incline it would seriously take people out below. Amazing how well it works. We like Mega and now we even know our way around a bit.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
423 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maga Stuff

Ewww raw chicken sitting on ice! Yeah, that would be bad! Here at home I am a food safety inspector, and that would be bad. We have yet to see that! But lots of fish on ice etc. Just different than home! We were both very impressed with the grocery stores in Cozumel. To be honest, the only place I was dissaponted with, perishables speaking, was Sam’s club. Their produce was so bad. Everything we wanted was mouldy. The meat we were going to stock up on, but the pork was green, so was the chicken. We were blown away! Mega and Chedraui has way better perishables!

Reply to: Maga Stuff
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted