We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscape

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
West Central...
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sunscape

We are thinking of upgrading to a Oceanview Suite. Just wondered if it's worth the extra $? Otherwise we will just get the oceanview.

Thanks!

Nancy

8 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
423 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunscape

We upgraded to the oceanview suite, and for the cost of the upgrade, it wasn't worth it. You get a living area with no tv, the bedroom has a tv, so in the evenings we would go to bed and watch a few shows. There is a bathtub jacuzzi on the balcony which we never used... Thats my opinion though!!

West Central...
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunscape

Thank you very much for your reply. You saved me some money!! I love tripadvisor for this type of information. Thanks again.

Nancy

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunscape

We upgraded too, wasnt worth it. The couch we had was broken and you couldnt sit on it or you sank in to it and had a hard time getting out. The hot tub on the balcony was disgustingly dirty and didnt drain water at all. Think we had room 3124.

West Central...
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunscape

BigDave, So after your review I am wondering if you would stay at Sunscape again? Pros? Cons?

Thanks for the input.

Nancy

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
423 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunscape

Your welcome Nancy! Tripadvisor has helped us out lots! You will like the Sunscape! It is very nice, but a ways out of town, if that matters!!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunscape

Nancy, short answer is no.

Long answer is below.

The grounds are nice and well kept.

The location doesnt bother us as we always rent a car from isis so no where is too far.

The restaurants in the resort are not good. The best is the mexican place next to the pool that is only open at nights. The breakfast buffet is ok. Everything else is very bad. So if you plan to just stick around the resort and take advantage of the all-inclusive you will be disappointed and broke from taxi fair back and forth to town to eat.

The people that work at Sunscape are very nice.

The beach is nice, you will need water shoes to enter the water as there are a lot of rocks and such that make it hard to walk bare foot into the water. You can snorkel a bit but dont expect awesomeness. You will see fish and a little plant life. Super easy to get a lounger on the beach.

We dont drink so I can not tell you how good or bad the drinks are.

The room - I think we had room 3124, it had a great view of the beach with a nice wrap around balcony. Its a suite, I think they called it the honey moon suite. It has a living room with a couch and a big circle table and a bar with a sink and fridge. The living room had sliding doors that lead out to balcony and your hot tub(gross). The living room leads to your bedroom with I believe a queen bed and a tv with sliding glass doors that lead to balcony and view of the ocean. Also when you walk in to the hotel room you first pass by the bathroom, its a large bathroom. If you are at all handicapped in any way that doesnt allow you to step over or walk up steps this room is not for you. The ledge to get into the tub to take a shower is 2-2.5 feet high and the same distance wide. Its really weird. Anyways you have to climb on top of it to get in tub. Something gross about our shower is that when the 3rd floor room takes a shower a steady stream of their water comes through the ceiling into our tub. Never failed every time we went to take a shower the people above us would get in when we were like half done with ours. So gross. The hotel room has two ac units. The one in the living room would never work. We called maintenance and they came out 3 times to try and fix it. Never could. We finally told them just never mind and we just cranked the one in the bedroom up and tried to cool off the place with just that one. The couch is a pull out bed. Our couch was broke and when you sat in it you would sink way in. I think the bed was actually sitting on the floor underneath the couch. Good luck to anyone who tried to use that for there kids to sleep on. The bed was very firm, so if you like soft beds you are out of luck. The cleaning staff were descent.

So no, I would not stay at Sunscape again. What about if it was free? Nope not even for free. I would stay at the sister property next door again Secrets. There are sooooo many options to stay at on the island, dont settle. Read the reviews on tripadvisor, there are a lot of reviews that sound just like mine.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
423 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunscape

Bigdave, yes that is pretty nasty! Wow! We stayed in 3713 which was right next door to the buffet restaurant. Our room wasn't that bad! We had no leaking problems at least! The outside "bathtub" was yucky though! And if you were to actually decide to go in it, you would have an audience from the restaurant patio next door! The food I agree was not good... we did have drinks and they were very good. And they would always garnish them in a cool way. To be totally honest, I would rent a condo and eat out, enjoy the sites. For the price we paid, it was not at all worth it! Secrets looked nice though, a bit pricey!

West Central...
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunscape

Thanks so much for all the input. I can't imagine staying anywhere without checking out tripadvisor comments first.

Thank you!

Nancy

Reply to: Sunscape
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted