We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Cozumel questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
First time to Cozumel questions

As the title suggest, I have some questions for the Cozumel experts. Some of you might have read my other posts, I'll be staying at the Hotel Cozumel and Resort. I want to know

1. How far is this hotel to the closest beach, walking distance?

2. How far is this hotel to town?

3. Where is the best place to change USD to pesos?

4. Where to get sim card for smart phone that include minutes and data? What price?

5. What is the water temp in November? Do I need a wet suit to scuba dive?

6. Ballpark estimate, how much cash do you think I should bring for 1 person? I got the AI at Hotel Cozumel but might eat out occasionally. I will be there from Sat to Sat and will be diving at least 3 to 4 days.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
1,997 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
24 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Cozumel questions

I'll help as much as I can:

1. I believe right across the street from the hotel is their beachfront area

2. Hotel is at the southern edge of town

3. Check your local bank or credit union, airport exchange, or "cambios". I find its best to have the exchange before you go

4. Check your existing plan, some AT&T and Verizon plans have Intl. built in.

6. $500 American for fun money. More depending if you pre-book rental, diving, etc.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Cozumel questions

1. The hotel property extends across the road and they have a nice beach area. You can walk across the street or through the underground tunnel. Any of the beach clubs you will want to take a taxi to.

2. About a 15 minute walk to town

3. The hotel usually has a good exchange rate itself if you want to just get pesos there

4. Ditto on the AT&T and Verizon. We've had both, no problems with either. Call and talk to your carrier for options.

5. Personal preference only you can decide. I wear a 2 ML shorty that time of year, my husband doesn't wear one at all then and we have a friend that wears a 5 ML full suit. No one can really say what you will need to be comfortable. The water and outside temps are usually pretty warm/nice that time of year, one of my favorite times to go.

6. Estimate what you think you will want to spend shopping, eating out and add some. Let your bank and credit card companies know you will be traveling in case you need more. The hotel rooms have in-room safes.

Also……Hotel Cozumel is my favorite hotel and we've probably stayed there over 20 times. I love the location to be able to walk to town, Chedraui and Mega. The food is typical AI. They can get pretty "creative" with it and you may get bored with it. I have read some people hate it, but I wouldn’t worry. They cook really good fajitas, tacos, fish at the snack bar by the pool and there are plenty of great places to eat in town. In all the years we’ve been going I don’t think we’ve had too many hunger pains in Cozumel.

Edited: 8:45 am, September 22, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
1,997 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Chedraui
Chedraui
45 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Cozumel questions

My chart shows a seawater temp of about 82 degrees in November. Of course, where you jump in may vary.

The "beach" across the street, is easy to get to, but it really is a .... large patio with stone walls at the water's edge with sand trucked in. To get a typical sand beach, you'll need to head south, pretty much starting with the Sabor, all the way to Punta Sur. There are beach clubs you can visit or get a day pass at other resorts.

I took a walking tour of the resort last May. It seems an okay resort, in that everything about it was ok. Nicely maintained, clean, vibrant Mexican colors, etc.... Nothing world shaking, but okay. Close to town, but not so close that you will be rocked all night long by some of the later opened establishments.

Good call getting the AI for this resort, it basically costs $20.00 per day and you can eat there or not. Walk up and grab a drink or snack anytime you feel like it. Otherwise, you'd only get breakfast. Some places, the AI upgrade can be up to $100.00 per person per day. As far as cash goes, you can eat pretty good on $35.00 per meal average. You can spend a whole lot more or less, depending, of course. Drinks can add to the bill, and souvenirs can too.

I get my cash changed to Pesos before I leave, AAA does it for free if you convert over $300 USD.

I know nothing about phones.Don't own one, and wouldn't bring one with me if I had one. I'm getting away from it all in Cozumel.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4,333 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Cozumel questions

Good points. But lets not scare her. True you can eat for $35, but that's pretty high on the hog, comparatively. I'd say your "typical" Mexican fare will be in the $15 range. Then add drinks.

I went in July as a solo, and took about $500, stayed AI. I came home with a bunch...used my credit card every chance I could.

Uphill maybe you meant $35 per couple, eh?

Edited: 9:37 am, September 22, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Cozumel questions

This is the closest beach & it's very popular with the locals on Sunday. It's about 5 minutes south of the hotel and had a nice sandy bottom before hurricane Wilma hit. There isn't another real beach within walking distance. If you want to spend time at a real beach you'll need to taxi to one of the beach clubs along the southern hotel zone.

https://flic.kr/p/RjbrD7

Wet suit is a very personal choice. How easy do you get cold. What water temp are you comfortable in (swimming pools etc) I never wear a wet suit & my trips are late Jan to mid Feb, water temps run 80 F on the surface to 76 F at depth. I've dove with people in light weight skin guards all the way up to dry suits. Many aren't cold in the water but are when wet & back on the boat, especially if it's not sunny. Once the boat starts going the wind gives them a real chill. You can walk into town & explore easily but have comfortable shoes. It's hard to get lost & most locals speak enough English to help if looking for something specific.

Level Contributor
1,363 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Cozumel questions

My bad, that was $35.00 per couple, I do see she referenced a single. I should have clarified that.

Edited: 10:06 am, September 22, 2017
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Cozumel questions

For questions 1 & 2... google earth is your friend.

Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Cozumel questions

I agree with Seven7. Google maps is fantastic to use for getting to know the layout of Coz. The "Street View" feature is phenomenal for checking out the streets, beaches, etc.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Cozumel questions

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm a guy. Thanks for all the advice, I just want to be better prepared.

Edited: 12:18 pm, September 22, 2017
Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Cozumel questions

We have traveled extensively in Mexico and will be going to Oaxaca and Cozumel in a few weeks. It will be our first time in Cozumel so I can't answer questions regarding hotel location and beaches. But I did want to mention that we only get our money from ATMs while in Mexico. We never use a bank at home nor do we use Cambio booths at the airport as they have to charge you a fee. We use a real ATM machine at the airport to get us started for taxis, etc. Then in town we find an ATM attached to a bank and get all our money there during our stay. We do not bring any cash with us. So ATMs and credit cards are the way to go. We only use local currency (pesos). Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Reply to: First time to Cozumel questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted