We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

activities around Chichen Itza

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Chichen Itza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
196 posts
376 reviews
Save Topic
activities around Chichen Itza

I plan to stay at the Mayaland Hotel during the first week of April '07. During my stay I will check out the archaeological zone, take a horseback ride to Old Chichen, and go to Cenote Dzitnup. Does anyone know if there is anything else to do in the area? We will not have a car. Thanks in advance.

Florida
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: activities around Chichen Itza

In our many trips to Chichen Itza we make sure to bring our bins for great birdwatching, you can have a Maya Nature Tour Guide, ours new a lot about the area. Near the Mayaland you have the Merle Greene Gallery with her original Rubbings. If you can, book a Spa Maya Holistic Ritual at Yaxkin Spa near your hotel of choice: the experience is a jewel indeed. As for romantic nights, Chichen is wonderful, we had a serenata right at our room window as part of our stay. Hope these ideas and tips help you enjoy your visit.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
196 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: activities around Chichen Itza

Thanks, Herre. I would not have thought to pack my binoculars. Great idea!

Cancun
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: activities around Chichen Itza

from Mayaland you can also arrange or book with them a tours to Rio Lagartos and see all the Flomingos, To Valladolid, Izamal or Ek-Balam

San Diego...
Level Contributor
196 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: activities around Chichen Itza

Thanks, Ana. My understanding is that the time to really see flamingos in Rio Lagartos is during their nesting season in August. Any idea if there are a lot of flamingos there in early April? Also, any idea how much the tour would be from Mayaland?

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: activities around Chichen Itza

You could also visit Ek Balam, north of Valladolid, somewhat short drive from Chichen, we also visited Rio Lagartos in May 2005 and we did see some flamingos but not huge flocks. Are you renting a car? Ek Balam is very little visited and well worthwhile.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
196 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: activities around Chichen Itza

Thanks, Vineyard 55,

No, we won't have a car, so my guess is that Rio Lagartos will be a tad out of the way. I did forget to mention that we plan to go to Ek Balam--that is number #2 on our "must do" list!

7. Re: activities around Chichen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 23, 2009