We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monday visit better than Sunday?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Monday visit better than Sunday?

We will be driving from Merida to Puerto Aventuras in early May (I know it will be hot!) and want to spend one night very near Chichen Itza to be at the ruins by 8:00am. The best day for our itinerary is Sunday at the ruins but I am wondering if Sunday would be much more crowded than Monday? We also plan to spend 2 nights in Valladolid to see El Balam. We could also do Valladolid first for 2 nights then visit Chichen Itza Monday night and all day Tuesday. Is there really a difference in the days in terms of crowds or is every day just as busy as the next? Thanks!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Monday visit better than Sunday?

I've never noticed a difference between the days, although supposedly a lot more Mexicans show up on Sunday. Frankly, if you are there late in the afternoon and then first thing in the morning, crowds will be manageable on either day.

If you do decide to visit in the afternoon and morning (which is two separate admissions, now more than 200 pesos per person, I believe) the advantage is that you have the opportunity to shoot all the monuments in great light. Afternoon is the best time to shoot the Temple of Warriors, Caracol, the Iglesia, the Great Ball Court's Upper Temple of the Jaguars, and the west side of El Castillo; morning is best for the east side of El Castillo, the bas relief carvings of ball players in the Great Ball Court, the Lower Temple of the Jaguars, the east annex of Las Monjas (the Nunnery), Casa Colorada, and the Osario.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monday visit better than Sunday?

Thank you so much for the information about lighting. I am an avid photographer and love the light between about 5:30 and 7:30. It would be great to be there in the late afternoon and then early morning. I really don't mind paying admission twice as it is a once in a lifetime deal and would be happy to have more time. I also was thinking that local Mexican families might be more likely to visit in Sunday. Might do a couple nights in Valladolid first then visit CI on a Monday and Tuesday. Thanks again!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monday visit better than Sunday?

Mexicans will attend more on Sunday, but the difference in visitor numbers will be minimal.

Enjoy Chichen!

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
765 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monday visit better than Sunday?

It is my understanding that CI closes at 5:00 PM. In the winter it will be getting dark by 6:00 PM.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monday visit better than Sunday?

Thank you all. Does anyone know if the evening light show is going on? We will be there early May so it should be light pretty late in the day.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Monday visit better than Sunday?

The evening show has been suspended, but supposedly will return with a new, better program in April. I personally doubt it will be ready by that time, but miracles have been known to happen. You might be in luck!

7. Re: Monday visit better than Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 23, 2015