We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok to tour ruins on rainy day?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Chichen Itza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ok to tour ruins on rainy day?

We are coming to Playa del Carmen on Saturday, and want to visit Chichen Itza at some point during our week-long trip. I am thinking I want to save our sunny days to do beach things, and was thinking of having our day trip to Chichen Itza, Valladolid and Coba fall on a rainy day.

Is it safe to do? Since there is no climbing at C.I., that should be ok, right? But for Coba, slippery rocks might be a concern for climbing...

Has anyone been done this trip on a rainy day, and was it a good experience?

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok to tour ruins on rainy day?

I spent a day at Palenque in torrential rain and there you can climb the structures. We had no problems. At CI it'd make no difference to your security since it's all flat walking.

The rain often comes between 2 and 5 pm and can be intense for an hour. If you get to CI early, you could be away before any rain comes. The rainy season is ending, so this could be a non-issue anyway.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok to tour ruins on rainy day?

The only thing I would add to Londoner's recommendation is to seek shelter if there is lightning. Chichen Itza is wide open and you would make a nice target for a lightning strike.

Have a great trip!

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok to tour ruins on rainy day?

It's fine with me.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok to tour ruins on rainy day?

Ok thanks all!

5. Re: Ok to tour ruins on rainy day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 20, 2014