We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you climb Chichen Itza?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oromocto
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Can you climb Chichen Itza?

Hi,

I have read the post from 2010 about not being able to climb this ruin, however someone recently told me that they reopened it. Is this true? I want to see ruins but I have no desire Rostand in an open field staring at sorting for hours on end. I would like something interactive.

any recommendations?

Thanks

Tanya

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you climb Chichen Itza?

Nope, you can't climb anything at Chichen itza. And like Tulum, many of the monuments have rope barriers so you can't touch them.

You can climb a monument at Coba, Ek Balam, and Uxmal. But there are dozens of other sites where you climb everywhere and explore, but most of these are barely excavated.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,537 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you climb Chichen Itza?

If you could climb Chichen, you would likely find about 10 vendors waiting at the top to sell you a variety of things. They are a nuisance wherever you go at Chichen.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you climb Chichen Itza?

Good input so far. I would suggest either Coba or Ek Balam.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you climb Chichen Itza?

The reason that climbing has been banned at Chichen and many other Mayan ruins is that the thousands of tourists are literally wearing down the steps. Plus the numerous idiots who when they get to the top carve their initials on the temple. Those ruins have survived over 1500 years in many cases. Don't you agree it's worth preserving them even if it interfers with your interactive experience? Oh..yeh.. a couple of tourists have died in falls. But since you don't sue in Mexico that probably isn't the reason.

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you climb Chichen Itza?

Really, they carve their initials? That is absolutely horrid. Sometimes I just hate people.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you climb Chichen Itza?

Vandalism by tourists had all but disappeared by the time they closed the ruins to climbing. A few years ago I had a long conversation with the people who manage the site, and they said that tourists showed great respect for the monuments. It probably also didn't hurt that INAH, the federal agency in charge, also stationed men around the site (and on top of El Castillo, the pyramid) to keep an eye on things.

The reason I was told for closing the monuments was to stop the wear and tear from having thousands of people per day climbing on them. My personal belief is that it was also a cost-cutting move, that by closing the monuments (or even in some cases making them inaccessible to tourists), the site requires fewer men to keep an eye on things.

Mentioned in this post
El Castillo
El Castillo
792 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you climb Chichen Itza?

EJ, there may also be a health and safety element. The tower at Palenque was closed because of too many accidents (and deaths).

I'm very much in the camp that says we have no right to climb up historic structures. They need preserving for future generations. I'm content to look and learn, if that's all that's on offer.

Mentioned in this post
Palenque
Palenque
Chiapas, Mexico
8. Re: Can you climb Chichen Itza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 04, 2014