We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about visiting

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Chichen Itza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
be3
southwest of...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Questions about visiting

I have a few questions about visiting the site.

- Are backpacks allowed? Just to carry personal items.

- If we purchase water on site, what is the cost? Do they accept US dollars?

- In June, is any type of bug spray needed?

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
699 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about visiting

Backpacks are allowed.

Last January the cost of a bottle of water was $20 Mex. I did not have US dollars, so I do not know if the shops take US dollars. The vendors inside CI take US dollars, Euros and Canadian dollars. I do not think they sell water.

I personally would use bug spray as well as sun screen. The sun will be high in the sky in June and the bugs likely to be in the shade. Given the heat and sun, you will also seek shade. There has been a program in the State of Yucatan to inform residents about dengue fever, a mosquito borne illness. Part of the program is the liberal use of DEET based repellants.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about visiting

Do you mean full backpacks or a knapsack? Knapsacks are allowed, but while I can't say backpacks are banned, I've never seen anyone in the archaeological zone carrying one. They have facilities to store luggage at the main visitor center, so I suspect that is where you will be directed.

You can buy water at the visitor center and at two gift shops inside the archaeological zone, one at the Cenote Sagrado (the Sacred Well) and another on the path between the pyramid El Castillo and the observatory-like Caracol. I have paid in US dollars in the past, but that was when they were under different management.

I'm with WisRiver on the use of sunscreen and bug spray. June is the rainy season, and bugs will be out in force.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about visiting

Ditto on the bug spray and as for backpacks, if Chichen is anything like Dzibilchaltun, you will have to leave it at the entrance bag check.

4. Re: Questions about visiting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 06, 2014