We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel as a single girl with Cancun adventure tours?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York City
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to travel as a single girl with Cancun adventure tours?

I am going to Cancun in February for 10 days with my girlfriend. Because of all of the cartel drug war issues the last few years my girlfriend will not travel off the resort grounds. I am very interested in visitingChichen Itza and Valladolid with the Cancun adventure tours which pick you up and drop you off from your resorts. My question is, will it be safe for me to do this tour alone as a single female in my 30s? Please let me know the honest truth I really appreciate it. It's the tour for $97 package all-inclusive.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel as a single girl with Cancun adventure tours?

your friend is sadly misinformed. the cartel problems are cartel problems in other words they are killing themselves, not tourists and they are doing it in other parts of mexico, not the yucatan. there have been more deaths to tourists on grounds then off. There are tourists all over the yucatan every day and living through it. tell your friend I feel sorry for her.

New York City
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel as a single girl with Cancun adventure tours?

I already tried to persuade her. It's quite a bummer but either I do it alone or I don't do it at all so my dilemma here is would it be safe for me to do it alone?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel as a single girl with Cancun adventure tours?

Heck, even wandering around on your *own*, you'd be safe. On a tour, even more so.

Go for it, and have fun.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel as a single girl with Cancun adventure tours?

go ahead and read my post?

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to travel as a single girl with Cancun adventure tours?

You're more likely to be killed by a cartel member in your hometown of NYC than at Chichen Itza. Have fun!

Ontario
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to travel as a single girl with Cancun adventure tours?

If you go on an organized tour you will be completely safe. I travel alone a lot and bump into many single female travelers on tours due to their friends not wanting to join them. Their loss.

Check out a Chichen Itza, Ek Balam combo tour. This is what I plan on doing the end of Feb.

I always laugh at people who say Mexico is not safe. It's like saying your not traveling to New York because someone is starting fires in Los Angeles.

Edited: 11:58 am, January 06, 2012
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,192 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to travel as a single girl with Cancun adventure tours?

Hopefully your tour includes a cenote. I agree with the Ek Balam addition. I also suggest doing the tour early in your trip since your friend may be so jealous of the great time you had that she decides to try something.

Read this for how I went to that area all alone. No one to hold my hand.

http://tinyurl.com/6kzrhwk

8. Re: Safe to travel as a single girl with Cancun adventure tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 18, 2013