We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wheelersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

I booked a 3.5 sun Deal of Fortune on Cheap Caribbean for me and my husband. We are going Sept. 25th - 29th and got a really good deal. I did a lot of research before booking the deal and thought any of the 3.5 sun resorts would be ok considering the price we paid. The only one I was really iffy about was the Grand Oasis because of all the bad reviews. Just got an email conformation for our resort.....and guess what? Grand Oasis Cancun!!!! Now I feel a little bummed thinking that booking the deal of fortune just set us up for a crappy trip. Can anyone make me feel better about staying at Grand Oasis Cancun?

Texas
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

Do you have any other resort experiences to compare it to? It was our first all-inclusive and we had an amazing time. Thirteen trips later you couldn't give us a free trip there. Was it bad? No. Is there much better? Absolutely.

It does have a great beach, though.

Wheelersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
2. Re: Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

SandInMyHair, thanks for the reply.

This is our first trip to Mexico aside from spending a day in Cozumel while on a cruise. As far as all-inclusive, we got married at Couples San Souci in Jamaica 3 years ago, and have been on several cruises.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

Couples is a significantly huge step up from anything Oasis brand, so just keep that in mind. Think Rolls Royce compared to Kia....but I'm sure the pricing reflects that.

The good thing about Grand Oasis is that it's in a great location so you can get out and go to other restaurants or even visit Isla Mujeres if you don't want to eat every dinner there.

Like I said, it wasn't a miserable time at all. It just wasn't "nice". The room was average, the food was average, the service was poor to average....but you'll be in Mexico and on a very beautiful beach so try to make the most of it!! And tipping goes a long way at a budget resort like Grand Oasis.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

Sandinmyhair, my family and I were there a week ago and no its not that bad, depending the package you got you should have a nice time. Being that I'm in my 40's it wouldn't be my first choice of resorts but I would definitely return.

Wheelersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
5. Re: Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

SandInMyHair, thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

I knew not to expect Couples Resorts type quality by the price we paid for this trip. I was just bummed when I found out we got Grand Oasis. It was the only resort that I was hoping not to get...after reading reviews. I'm a little regretful that I didn't just pay more and choose a resort with better reviews.

We will go and make the best of it and I'm sure it will be ok. It might even surprise us and be a lot better that what we've heard.

We are only staying 4 nights/5 days and plan on spending most of one day going to Chichen Itza.

I'd be more worried about it if we were staying longer.

Wheelersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
56 posts
6. Re: Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

travjenk, according to our booking, we have the Grand package. I think that's the middle package. I'll need to do some further research to find out what all that includes though.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

With the package you have you access to the other Oasis resorts, just take advantage of everything they offer.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

I will say that the staying in the Grand section did have some nice perks. We never tried to trade places when we went but that's a good idea if it's easy to do.

Have a great trip and let me know if you want any Isla Mujeres tips...you'll be in the perfect spot for a quick visit there and the food all over the island is cheap and amazing.

9. Re: Is Grand Oasis Cancun really that bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, August 28, 2017