We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beb Bug infestation

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chambersburg, PA
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Beb Bug infestation

Has anyone else come home from Playa/cancun (Excellence) with bed bug bites? They run ramped in Cancun. Incase you don't know what they look like I will describe them. At first you think it is a misquito bite, but then it develops a large red welt around it and eventually a blood stain welt. Very itchy, can develope after your return home. BEWARE... they come home in suitcases and clothes then reinfest your mattress. REcommendation is do not bring in your luggage until your thourghlly vaccum it and spray with roach or lice spray! wash everything you took even if you didn't wear it, in hot water.

Good luck, I know at least two other couples who came home with these little suckers.

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Beb Bug infestation

Boy, the first time I read a post about bedbugs, I thought that it was stupid and a attempt to blast the resort. Now, from my calculations, you are the third person posting about bedbugs. I may be wrong, but some 5-6 months ago, the press reported that bedbugs were all over New York hotels and even upscale apartments. The CDC put up a warning regarding bedbugs in NYC.

I am not douting what you are saying, but if this is true, then MX and Cancun will be in real trouble. This seems to have just started, and they should take, like 911 action to take care of this or people will be afraid to go. When you get them, you have to burn your bed stuff and clean and poison everything.

Been in Jamaica over 50 times. Never had begbugs, regardless where we stayed. Cockroaches, yes!!! But they are the tropical type and do not survive in the US. And do not duplicate. We always kept our suitcases in the garage, for at least two days, just in case. We normally went in January, ergo, really below freezing. But bedbugs????? Wow! I am now really concerned. Thanks for the reminder and your post.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Beb Bug infestation

the previous poster is right, NYC did have, maybe still does, a problem with bed bugs. This isn't a problem with high or low end resorts/hotels. Basically bedding and rooms need to be cleaned on a regular basis with disinfectant (Clorox) to kill the insects. This is of course a costly thing to do, but places need to learn it is a cost of doing business or people will not come to your place. Especial with sites like trip advisor, where people can share experiences.

-Jay

Long Island, NY
7 posts
3. Re: Beb Bug infestation

Can you remember your room number and the room numbers of the other couple's? I am going to Excellence Riviera Maya tomorrow and now I'm very nervous!! I'd like to make sure my room is far from where you were!

Thanks!!

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Beb Bug infestation

bed bugs don't bother me...I just sit them down and tell them I am heading back to Oklahoma and they can gladly come back with me or they can stay in Cancun...Easy choice for them especially since they get to dine on different people if they stay at the resort

Chicago
Level Contributor
110 posts
5. Re: Beb Bug infestation

I have seen a 20/20 special a while back about bedbugs. All you have to do is say "don't let the bedbugs bite" and they magically stay away.

Just kidding. The expert advised that they usually hide behind the headboard and under the matress (the matress not the boxspring). He advised the first thing you should do when checking into a hotel or resort is to check these areas and if you see any of these small black bugs get out of there and ask for another room. I do this every single time and have luckily never found any and have luckily never been bitten by one.

Now that I have cursed myself since I am leaving for Cabo Sat. Seriously people I would check these 2 areas of your room for these before you even think of unpacking.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,778 posts
196 reviews
6. Re: Beb Bug infestation

Does the cold kill them? I'm assuming.........?

Chicago
Level Contributor
110 posts
7. Re: Beb Bug infestation

What cold?? Your in the tropics.

Do you mean the cold when you get home??? If so yes but it has to be under 32 degrees for 4 hours or more. Then you can be guaranteed they are dead.

My wife always (and I mean always) unpacks our suitcases in the garage and takes the clothes right to the washer. We NEVER unpack our suitcases ontop of our bed at home. NEVER.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,778 posts
196 reviews
8. Re: Beb Bug infestation

Yes of course, at home. I'm from neighboring WI so you know 32 probably won't be an issue in Dec! Good idea about keeping them in the garage. Probably not a bad idea to check the bed first, just never did it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
110 posts
9. Re: Beb Bug infestation

ZsaZsa--- I hear you. We are already getting close to that 32 degree figure. Although as of Sat the 18th I will be closer to that 90 dgree fig in Cabo.

I would ALWAYS look behind the headboard and under the mattress. If you see anything black, get ut and get a new room.

10. Re: Beb Bug infestation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 19, 2009