We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"The City" club

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
"The City" club

Who has been here? What's it like? There's a waterpark too? What kind of music do they play? Cover charge?

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: "The City" club

I have not heard many good things about The City -- Poor service, rude staff, and overpriced.. It's about $35 for all you can drink, but I'm told that some of the servers won't serve you unless you tip them excessively. I wouldn't waste my time there, and I'd focus on other clubs.

B.C.
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "The City" club

Went on a Sunday night, had no prob with the service but "dood" could be right as the night we were there was not busy at all! The place is HUGE! I could see on a busy night the waiters looking for tips more but this really happens anywhere! Coco Bongos is a prime example! Good luck getting a drink without tipping!

Music at the city was Techno, at least it was the night we were there and i've heard that's what they stick to. I beleive they have bands too???? Cover was $35 open bar.

The waterpark is part of the City's beachclub out back and has a waterslide, volleyball, a surf simulator, etc.....Only saw it from a mall next door, didn't spend any time there? I imagine it's prob pretty crazy during spring break???

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
752 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "The City" club

I agree with Weatherdood. I don't like the music (house, techno) and I went there drunk, drank all night (WAY overpriced) and left SOBER! Was so ticked off, I walked all the way back to my hotel, like 3 km.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: "The City" club

I've been there 3 times. Twice on spring break '04 and once in July '04. On spring break, they played nothing but hip-hop, and saw live performances by J-Kwon, G Unit, and 50 Cent. It was amazing. In July, the club was rather empty and they played techno which I am not a fan of. We had a VIP table and got drinks all night. This club is the size of a small basketball arena. I heard it is the 3rd biggest club in the world. I would recommend it for sure. I will be returning there in a couple weeks when I go back to Cancun for spring break '05.

Calgary Alberta...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "The City" club

HeyBlihz, Went at beginning of Oct o4 for my bday, it was ok supposedly one of the biggest clubs, but more than 1/2 empty. Same thing, wasn't served as often as bigger tippers, played Usher, Nina Skye, dance hiphop top 40 (remember this was October). Was a cool club, had swings you could go on on the ceiling, and disco show , and performers every hour or so. I am 29, and found it a little young, but still a great place to dance.Drinks pricey, get the all in- drinks wristband.Im from Canada, and although "City" is new, big and shiny, I much prefer the fun, busier clubs at home. Ask around.

Good Luck-Stacey Steel

Toronto
Level Contributor
612 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "The City" club

Been there ...Done that.

The club is always packed during the busy peak times in cancun. For instance spring Break. If you go oin October sure it mihgt be half empty...

Otherwise the placeis huge, much more room to move around un like Coco Bongos.

And to think that people are thinking 35US for everything is too much..?

Wow..

35Us is great for your cover charge and drinks ALL night!

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: "The City" club

$35 for open bar IS a good deal, whdream...but when you have to wait 45 minutes to get a drink because you're not tipping enough in the server's eyes...it's rather frustrating.

Calgary Alberta...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "The City" club

WHDREAM**Yeah remember Im from Can and we dont pay that much to hang out in cool clubs and you have to tip large in Mex.Yes I KNOW the clubs are half empty in Oct, I wrote that already.I dont do spring break or packed clubs either, I was giving my p.o.v to the person who asked.Obviously you would be dumb 2 think a club would be packed in Oct anywhere!

Calgary Alberta...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: "The City" club

Oh yeah $35 USD is good for all night and drinks, but yeah we waited 4 ever to get drinks and service to boot.

canada
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: "The City" club

I just got back from cancun and they play house music. i really like this place. yes it was hard to get drinks but the atmosphere was awsome. i sobered up alot and normally dont dance when i am sober but it was pretty awsome anyways.