We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Brockton,Ma
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for advice

my husband and I both in our mid 50's are planning on taking a trip in October. We will have our 15 year old grandson with us who loves basketball and video games and pools. we definitely want all inclusive but have no idea what is good or bad, looking for feedback from people who have been..pros and cons. thank you very much.

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advice

The good people here will certainly aid in your search, but you're going to have to give them more information. We know what your grandson's interests are, what about you and your husbands? Beach people? Pool people? Foodies? Stay in one spot or explore the coast and its attractions? Budget?

Also, not to alarm you, but October is in hurricane season. Do you know what that entails?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advice

We need more information:

- most importantly, what's your budget (per night) for accommodations?

- do you want to be IN Cancun or is further down the coast (the "Riviera Maya") ok? Is an 90 minute drive from the airport do-able or is that too far?

- do you plan on staying on the resort most of the time or will you be doing a lot of excursions?

- if you're going to be doing excursions, d'you have any in particular planned that you'd like to be conveniently located to?

- you've said your grandson likes pools but how does he feel about the beach, snorkelling, etc.?

- are you OK with buffets for dinner or d'you want all a la carte?

- do you want a place with a teen club or will your grandson be hanging out with you?

Brockton,Ma
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advice

we are okay with buffet, we like the beach more than the pool, we will probably do some excursions but are okay with just relaxing at the resort. budget between 3000-3500 for the 3 of us and a teen club would be ideal. I did not think of hurricane season .....has anyone been in october?

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for advice

I've been many times in October. It is hot and humid with the odd popup shower mostly in the evening. Just be aware that it could happen. Last October I was in Cancun and a hurricane just slipped past the peninsula in the straight between Cancun and Cuba. These things have lots of warning though so it won't be a surprise. Just make sure that you buy travel insurance just in case you have to cancel.

EDIT: the payoff is that October is full of good deals to travel to the area, and many attractions are not crowded. I really enjoy the Mayan at this time of year.

Edited: 7:10 pm, February 27, 2014
Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for advice

Is your budget including airfare? -airfare pricing will vary so much from city to city and will vary with the airline company. I have stayed at Moon Palace and if you stay in the Sunrise section, they have a Teen lounge that was built last year. Lots of pools, restaurants -beach is nice, but the water is just okay. a

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,480 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for advice

Check out Grand Palladium - it's a multi resort complex but no matter which part you're staying in, you have access to the entire complex. There's good snorkelling on site, teen club etc.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for advice

Does that budget include ur air fare? Or just for the hotel?

Ill assume it includeds air fare. So, that will get A week at the crown paradise club, or the great parnassus. Thats if you shop smart and look for deals.. Maybe 3 or4 nights at gran caribe real which is the next level up . tucancun is a nice place foe the $$$ as well. All are kid friendly and or family resorts.

If that budget is just for the hotel? that will open the door to waaaay nicer resorts.

You can type the hotel name into the search box upper r corner. Click on The hotel U want to look at and read the reviews, look at the travelers photos, get the hotel ranking, etc. This is your best sourcd for accurate info on the hotels That you want to look at. The travelers photos are the ones you need to pay attn to since tbey Will show the good and bad. Not all good like the professional Photos.

Edited: 7:28 pm, February 27, 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for advice

The heat has usually subsided in oct Actually one of my fav mos to go since its not.so hot and humid. I have been lotz in oct.

Edited: 7:31 pm, February 27, 2014
9. Re: Looking for advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:13 pm, February 27, 2014
Edited: 8:13 pm, February 27, 2014
SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for advice

LOL Cancunone, you're from Fort Worth. The OP and myself are from points considerably north. Believe me, it's hot and humid. :)