We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding in cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Hay River, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
wedding in cancun

my son has a criminal record last 2010. will he be able to visit cancun for a friends wedding?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,994 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wedding in cancun

Offering legal opinions is really off-topic for TripAdvisor. Without getting into specifics about the offenses, my best advice is that he should consult a lawyer who can research it.

Edited: 7:31 pm, February 02, 2014
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
89 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wedding in cancun

lighten up francis

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wedding in cancun

Go to a larger root forum, such as Quintana Roo or Yucatan Peninsula and type the word "criminal" into the search box. By default, the results will be sorted by relevance, so watch the dates to ensure you're reading threads with more current information - there are a LOT there.

My hunch is that it will be very difficult to get any sort of assurance ahead of time and you son would simply have to go and hope for the best. The downside, of course, is that if you son gets denied entry, then he will be out the cost of his trip - and no insurance is going to cover that loss. Given that there have been recent reports from people who've been visiting Mexico for years with no problem but are now getting denied entry, I don't think your son's odds of being allowed in to Mexico are that great.

That said, I do have a couple of suggestions:

- consult a laywer to see when/if it's possible to get your son's record's expunged (probably not an option given how recent his offence was but worth a phone call); and

- contact the nearest Mexican consulate and ask them. Remember, verbal assurances that your son will be permitted entry are absolutely meaningless. You want referrals to bona fide rules and laws and you want something in writing from the appropriate authority that permits your son entry to Mexico.

The bottom line though is that the authorities can turn back ANYONE for ANY (or no) reason. No matter what documentation you're holding, act like a jerk at the airport and/or give attitude to any government official and you can expect to be denied entry to the country.

Remember, travel is a privilege, not a right.

Mentioned in this post
Quintana Roo
Quintana Roo
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wedding in cancun

If he is on probation, he will not be allowed to leave the country without written permission from the probation officer (if at all).

5. Re: wedding in cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 05, 2015