We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon wireless update

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
CT, USA
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Verizon wireless update

Hello-

For those of you wondering:

I was in cancun last week. I activated the international dialer on my cell phone (No charge) by calling verizon before i went. I used my phone while in Cancun (just dialed 001 before the area code and number) and it worked perfectly. Just as clear as if i was in the states.

My billing period happened to just end, and i just got the bill. My calls were billed at $.85/minute. I think it was a great deal for the convenience of using my own cell phone anywhere! These were for out-going calls. I did not take any incoming calls but i have heard from others that those are cheaper, but i cannot verify. HOpe this helps!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon wireless update

How was your reception?

CT, USA
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon wireless update

Service was great...just like at home. Used the phone at the airport and various spots in the hotel zone.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon wireless update

Do you have the normal Verizon plan? My wife and I go next week, and this sounds alot more convenient than telmex at 50 cents/minute. Was there a charge for switching it over?

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon wireless update

Does anyone know about Cingular? Has anyone rented a cell phone there? We'll be there Mar. 7-12 at Riu Caribe.

NY to Cancun
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon wireless update

Cingular works even better. Switch your plan for the month your coming to the North American Plan. $79. a month you get

1000 nite and weekends 850 prime or if your going to talk alot for $99. you get 1800 prime time minutes.

Cell phones work great all over Cancun.

This is the plan I have.....no extra charge and no roaming fee.

If your comin, stop in the Over 30 Club and say hi, middle of the hotel zone. Bring a bottle of horseradish and you get a round on us. Running short for bloody marys.

Bands, DJ's and karaoke playin the best of the 60, 70 & 80's

Have a great time in Cancun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CT, USA
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon wireless update

Yep, I have a regular verizon plan. The 39.99/ month one. JUst call verizon a couple days ahead and tell them you want to activate the international dialer. There is no charge to activate it. They will tell you there is no charge but that to make calls from mexico, it will cost $.69 a minute plus whatever the mexican telephone co. charges, which turned out to be $.16/minute. Once they activate it, they will tell you to wait 20 min and then you type in something to your phone to update it. There is no charge to add the international dialer. Just remember to dial 001 before the area code and number when you call home!

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon wireless update

Thanks, sun.vacation. Sounds great-Bloodies are my favorite!

Va
Level Contributor
11,423 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon wireless update

Yes Ga, cingular will work great at the Riu Caribe. I know this from first hand experience. That is as long as you are on the GSM network. Older TDMA phones will not work. I recieved and made calls just like I was at home. I got voice mail message reminders and sent text messages.

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Verizon wireless update

Hey sunngod, I'm an old Va. girl...where y'all from?

Lumberton, NJ
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Verizon wireless update

Hello there...I was just in Cancun last week and took my Verizon cell phone with me although I hadn't added the international dialer. I just happened to have it with me to be able to be in touch while in transit. I rented a cell phone from Cancunvalet to use while there because I was afraid to depend on my cell in case it didn't work once I got there. However, I found out my Verizon phone worked because the person who rented the phone before me returned it late and I didn't get it when I was supposed to so my hubby was worried and tried my cell. It sounded just like he was in the next room, only thing was I couldn't call out and my phone's battery wound up dying as I hadn't thought to bring a charger. As far as renting the phone goes, I am not in any way badmouthing that service but watch how often you use it as my final bill was over $133. dollars!! I didn't think I had used it for the 179 minutes that they said I did but I guess somehow I did!! Just a heads up to keep an eye on how much you call home if you rent a phone!