We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Places to Eat?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coppell, Texas
Level Contributor
476 posts
Save Topic
Good Places to Eat?

I haven't been to Cancun in a couple of years & was hoping for some rest recs. We prefer more local or hole in the wall places as opposed to chains. We are staying at the JW Marr & we will take the bus everywhere. We will eat one night at La Habichuela & one night on Isla so looking for 4 more dinners or lunch. Thanks!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,841 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Places to Eat?

Puerto Madero is a must for us. We also like Lorenzillo's. Lunches? Lots of places.....

Cheryl

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,938 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Places to Eat?

We always go to Mr Papas in the Isla mall. I love their mahi mahi and chicken tacos.

Edited: 10:37 pm, January 11, 2014
BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Places to Eat?

I haven't kept this up like I probably should, but here's some we've liked:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16138-BSQ_s_Di…

I find just getting off the bus by all the clubs and walking across/down the alleyway that leads to the other side of the street, then up to Plaza Caracol and back down to where you started, you'll pass so many different places with lots of good options. We usually just walk around and let our noses be our guides. I like this area since many of the places are open air or have sidewalk seating and I like to people watch.

Beaumont, Ca.
Level Contributor
482 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Places to Eat?

Surfing Burrito. A hole in hte wall across hte street from Señor Frogs.

Sisals next to the Royal Sands. Excellent guacamole with Carnitas added.

Córdoba
Level Contributor
247 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Places to Eat?

Hacienda Sisal (next to the Royal Sands), Captains Cove in front of The Royal Mayan.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Places to Eat?

A little out of the way restaurant is La Palapa Belga. I had the best Pork Tenderloin there, others had the chicken dinner which they said was excellent. Sits on the Lagoon and at night a great view of the Hotel Zone.

If you are going to Isla Mujeres, contact Rolandi's. They have a Yacht that comes to Cancun, pick you up and bring you back. It's free if there are more than 6, so contact them if you don't have enough in your party. Or ask at your resort. Great Yacht ride, great food, great wine and location....sits on the water with a great sunset view.

Want steak......El Conquistador located at the Royal Islander (if they have relocated from the Royal Mayan). Not sure if they have relocated yet.

Puerto Madero is good, as is La Doice Vita.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
42 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Places to Eat?

I Agree with everyone about Puerto Madero! Also right next door is Harry's - oh my! I have never had a better shrimp cocktail than Harry's - however bring your pocket book, it's not cheap. We were just at STV a couple weeks ago 12/28-1/4 we had great meals at both Harry's and PM. Enjoy!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,841 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Places to Eat?

El Conquistador was still at the Royal Mayan 2 weeks ago....it's not open to the public, only the Royal Resorts.

Cambalanche is owned by the same owners of Puerto Madero. Excellent, too.

Cheryl

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Places to Eat?

Well, if one is up for steak, then Ruth and Chris Cancun s he place for finest prime , they have 3 courses special for $55 per person if dine before 6PM, is excellent deal

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Places to Eat?

How "hole in the wall" do you want to get :)

A couple of our fav hole in the walls, and I mean rustic, maybe even adventurous.

El Galeon del Caribe, and Rio Nizuc, go, get crazy have so me fun! These are lunch places.