We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

My wife and I are visiting Golden Parnassus in January. One question I have so far is where can I go to get true authentic Mexican food (lunch or dinner)? I have read a lot of reviews that say the cuisine at the resort is somewhat Americanized. I want to really experience the native cuisine while I'm there. I am looking for something close that we can take a bus to or whatever. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any tips!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

Go for a walk downtown and go on the side streets, If you see locals in a restaurants...BIngo! You found what you were looking for. There is one that I really like in the middle of Mercado 28. The one with lots of plants and Xylophone.

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

Thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye out for plants and a xylophone ;-)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

Are you certain it wasn't Mercado 23? Big difference from the gringo tourist trap that is Mercado 28, and strongly suggest staying out of that place.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

The Xylophone is set up in that food court area in Mercado 28...

To the original poster, there are lots of food booths on Parque Las Palapas, which is easy to find right downtown. They're more fast-food (tortas, empanadas, tacos), etc, than a sit down meal.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

* El Timon d Calin

* HC Monterrey

* El Tigre y Toro

* Altamar

* El Cejas

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

For true Yucatecan food we go here: http://www.cancunmenus.com/labna.html

http://www.cancunmenus.com/palomabonita.html

http://www.cancunmenus.com/ladestileria.html

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to check these out!

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

For typical Mexican food, I like Pik Nik.

For typical Yucatecan food, Labna is right around the corner.

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

Pik Nik looks exactly like what I am looking for. Are these types of places safe to go to? I assume I can get a bus or cab and just get dropped off? Am I better off going during the day for lunch (so we're not wondering around at night)?

Now I have to ask... because I have seen this in a couple responses... What is the difference between Mexican food and Yucatecan food?

Thanks!

Kapalua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for authentic native cuisine... Suggestions??

Mexico is a huge country with many regional cuisines. To say Mexican food is like going to Seattle and asking for chitlins, grits and collard greens. The stuff passed off in the US at sit down Mexican restaurants..tacos, etc. is more often than not derivations of Mexican street food. to fully get it read a real Mexican cookbook. Yucatan has several regional specialties. En pibil refers to meats, poultry or fish steamed in a banana leaf with spices and chilies. Venison is also eaten although rare. Lots of grilled seafood. Turkey..try the occelated version if you can find it. Tamales..steamed in either corn husks or banana leaves. Habenero chiles are popular though most gringos can't handle them. Lots of fruits. Licuado stands (smoothies) are common. Try mango, mamey or watermelon. You will also see dishes from other regions. Moles.. sauces made from literally dozens of ingredients are most famous in Puebla and Oaxaca but are found nation wide. Platanos...starchy bananas used in place of potatoes. Rice..actually known as sopa seca..cooked in a broth with other ingredients until the liquid is absorbed is found in most parts of the country. How to spot gringo Mexican food? Combo plate of tacos and enchiladas with sour cream.