We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai
4 posts
Save Topic
Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

Hello,

If anyone has knowledge on this I'd love to hear. I am traveling to Cancun later this November and I am an Indian citizen with an Indian Passport. I just got my Canadian Permanent Resident approved. Without having first entry to Canada, do I still need Mexican Visa?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

According to Wikipedia, you need a visa.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_In…

You should also check with the Canadian authorities as to whether or not your absence from Canada will have any effect on your Permanent Resident status here. Short absences (e.g. vacations) usually don't but longer absences do. Either way, it would be smart to check it out beforehand rather than make assumptions and find out there's a problem after the fact.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

YES, you need to visit the Mexican Consul or Embassy in India and obtain a visa, here is the Gov. website showing this info...http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Paises_Visa/en.html

Mumbai
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

Thank you for your response. I just checked with Canadian Embassy and because I havent made a visit to Canada, my Permanent Residency is yet to be confirmed. So I am not a Permanent Resident yet and will need a visa.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

In US if you are Permanent Resident you are holder of so called green card(it is not really green) you must get a special Passport(re-entry permit) and a visa. I would think Canada is the same.

Mumbai
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

If you have Canadian Permanent Resident card, you can come back to Canada anytime without re-entry permit. Also do not need a tourist visa for Mexico. The issue with mine is that I have permanent Resident documents and I have never made my first visit to Canada. So the documents have not yet be confirmed by Canadian autorities. That is why even tho I have permanent Recident documents, I am not yet a Permanent Resident yet. In this case I will have to apply for tourist visa.

Mumbai
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

Also if an individual who has a foreign passport but has United State's Visa can enter Mexico without any tourist visa.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

So if you know everything could you tell me why did you start this thread? You ask questions and answer them by yourself, well in this case you must be getting the right answers.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

i am interested as how you can get permanent residence in canada without ever being there.it was my beleif you had to reside in canada and apply there for permanet residence after so many years

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

@ dlanderso:

When you want to emigrate to Canada, you apply to become a "Permanent Resident". Upon approval you will be provided with various papers which will allow you entry to Canada but none are "confirmed" as it were until you physically arrive in Canada, get processed through Immigration and take up residency in Canada.

While you are living as a Permanent Resident in Canada, you can work, study and live in Canada but you are NOT a citizen of Canada. There are couple of things as a PR that you can't do, the main ones being that you can't vote or run for political office. There are also rules about how much time you have to physically reside in Canada. If you're absent for too long, you may jeopardize your Permanent Resident status.

After you have been a Permanent Resident for a certain period, you can apply for Canadian citizenship. Under the old "Landed Immigrant" rules, it was three years but I'm not sure what is now. Once you have Canadian citizenship, you can apply for (and get) a Canadian passport and you have all the same rights, privileges and obligations of a "natural" Canadian citizen (and you can vote and run for public office).

For more info, check out: www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need Visa traveling from India ?

thanks/i have been out of canada now for 6 years/going back in aug for vacation/things change