We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Just returned this morning from a seven night stay at the Riu Caribe (05/04-05/11) flying with Sunwing we went as a group of friends all mid-twenties. Ill post some reviews eventually but until then feel free to fire a couple questions at me.

New York, New York...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Hey, going on Tuesday with a buddy.

1. were you able to book excursions/day trips at the hotel? What'd you do?

2. did you sign up for a bar crawl? How much did it cost, what did it include, would you recommend it?

3. what was the clientele mostly like? (old, young, families?)

4. did you take advantage of being able to use the facilities/bar at the riu cancun?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

The excursions would have been booked through our travel rep onsite we didn’t do any this time but I’ve done the dolphin swim and speed boats in the past.

We went to the Discos/club zone every night down there the Entertainment staff at this resort is by far the best we’ve ever had the discos they went to and their prices were; Elevate ($50) on Saturday, Sweet ($50) on Sunday, Coco Bongo ($65) or Mandala ($45) on Monday, Mandala Beach Club ($55) on Tuesday, Senor Frogs ($50) or Palazzo on Wednesday, Dadyo’s, Sweet and Skyy ultra lounge ($50 for the three) on Thursday and The City($50) on Friday.

The Hotel had a pretty diverse group and a good layout that kept everyone happy. You should have no problem finding like minded people to hang out with on your trip.

We’ve already been to the Riu Cancun so there was no reason to really head over there again… though it is a great hotel and worth checking out if you really feel the need.

Few extra things on the Nightlife: the prices I listed were the prices I paid all last week. They include transportation on an air conditions coach to the bar (you’re on your own for transportation back either hop on a bus for less than $1USD or 9.5peso or grab a cab for $12USD 150peso) it will include a VIP table + bottles service (tequila, vodka, rum) and shots its does not include those shots the girls will try to force down your throat (they’ll warn you about this and give you a run down of it each night before you go in the club)

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Yes! Planning on going here in august with my sister. Is there anything major you did NOT like about it? We're pretty laid back and not knit picky over everything. Just looking for a nice pool, beach and good drinks! I'm tired of looking and researching and just need to book now.

New York, New York...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Thanks for the info ks! We're two guys in our 20s and were worried about people saying the Caribe is exclusively a family type place - compared to the other RIUs - but that sounds like its not the case.

nj
Level Contributor
719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

hows the nightly entertainment? is there something every night

Is there any entertainment during the day? Volleyball going on in the pool at all?

If you goto the all u drink bar with out the bus ride how much does it cost?

How are the restaurants?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

2pink1blue- the Caribe was great everything was very clean, the staff was exceptional (especially Juan, Angel and Allie), the quiet pool area was peaceful, the entertainment side always had something going on, the beaches were nice, the ocean is extremely calm on this side (this could be a plus or minus depending what you’re looking for). The only “bad” thing (and I use that word very lightly) was buffet is pretty repetitive you can switch it up by booking the Mexican, Asian or Steakhouse though (if you choose to do that do it your first day there! we waited till our second and couldn’t get the steakhouse only the other two restaurants) me and my Girlfriend actually went down to Harry’s prime steakhouse and raw bar the last night as well for a nice sunset dinner.

JimmyJ89- No worries, it’s definitely not catered to only one group. Yes there were a few families but we found more people our age at the Caribe than we did at the Cancun last year at this time and like I said before the Entertainment staff was hand down the biggest beauties around!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

ChrisBnj- there is always contests, volleyball, water polo etc. at the entertainment side of the pool.

Nightly entertainment has shows around 945 each night like live bands and an MJ impersonator then you’ll to go off resort for the rest of your nightly entertainment fix past 1045 or you can go to the 24hr sports bar if you just want a couple more drinks.

Heading out on your own might save you a few bucks by taking the bus and haggling your way in but I wouldn’t recommend it. Even if there is a place you want to go that they aren’t going they told us they would make arrangements and get us down there and set up.

Restaurants were alright we never got into the Steakhouse mind you but the buffet is good but fairly repetitive like I mentioned before. The Mexican left a little the be desired and the Asian was pretty enjoyable and a nice change.

nj
Level Contributor
719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

Great Thanks alot.

any recommendation on which rooms i might wish to request?

Are there alcohol dispensers in room? if not can you ask for a bottle of something for the room?

Are there any choices for lunch aside from the buffet?

Is there any type of room service?

Any suggestions on food at buffet or restaurants?

is it worth going over to other buffet? for bars or restaurants or entertainment?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

My friend and I stayed in an Ocean view rooms on the 6th floor and my other two friends stayed in the Ocean Front room on the 5th both are nice and essentially the same size with the only difference being the extended balcony and extra windows id say if you have the cash go for the Ocean front and ask for the 5th floor and up to avoid the extra noise and heat coming from the lobby.

Yes, there is 4 26’s in your room ours were Vodka, Rum, Tequila and a bourbon whiskey of some sort you can ask them to swap certain ones out as well I believe… your mini fridge will also be stocked daily with 5 Dos Equis, 6 Pepsi 7up and Diet Pepsi as well as 1.5L bottles of water.

Lunch options are either the pool side buffet which stays open a little longer or the main dinning room buffet there is also a place to get personal pizza’s throughout the day but can take awhile at times.

We never looked into room service, sorry.

I took my girlfriend to Harry’s Prime Steakhouse and Raw Bar for a sunset dinner it was pretty good with a great view can get expensive quick though. There are also tons of food options down the strip and in La Isla mall most of which are great one place to avoid though is Bubba Gump.

Edited: 9:19 pm, May 13, 2013
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from the Riu Caribe, questions?

We stayed last July for 9 days and will be going again this August for 9 days. (30 & 31 & 10 year old) When my daughter was 3 we started going to the Palace Resorts every summer- loved them but we were looking for a change so last year we came across Rui Caribe- We fell in love! The activities during the day are great. From 9am-@ 5 pm they have constant activities by the pool area. They do a great job with incorp kids as well. I will not drop her off at a kids club so this was also a huge plus for us. Activities range from volleyball, water polo, bingo, dance offs, aerobics/yoga in A.M., darts, "crazy" games- and at night they always have a theme party for kids then following they will have a family show until @ 10ish. The food compare very similar to Palace's. During the day they open up grills by the pool, have the pizza station or you can go inside for a sit down. The buffets always had something to please us. To be honest from all the sun and snacking all day- dinner by the 3rd night was very light fruit salad and maybe something at the carving station. The before the shows at night we took to go containers and filled them with fries, chicken tenders, fruit or sweets ect to snack on during the shows. Another huge plus was the crystal blue water that was calm (hotel zone waves were not swimmable they were too strong) so we would barrow the snorkling gear and swim out to the rocks and see beautiful fish, one day we took the hobbie cats out - we took it out pretty far and then jumped off to swim around- it was so beautiful the water was purple/blue.; we took the paddle and kayaks out. There was a ton of activities to keep us busy. When we stayed at the palaces we did a lot of tours to keep us busy but didnt feel the need here. The crowd at the Caribe was very mixed- another plus cause we met a lot of fun people. Any questions please let me know s12118@rocketmail.com.