We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
694 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

This is a spin off from the "I can't sleep" board. Does anyone try to get in shape or eat better before going to Cancun? I, for one, want to look better in my swimsuit in a few months when I go. I've been eating about 1,200 cals per day (maybe it should be less?) most of the time and doing 30 min circuit training at the ladies gym 5 days a week. I've only lost like 5 lbs in 8 weeks though. Please let me know what diets you've tried and exercise plans.

North Georgia
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

FNM6669 I'm going to try slim in 6 that dolpingirl talked about. exercise and healthy eating and loose 20 lbs in 6 weeks plus get muscles.

Michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

Give Atkins low carb a try for 1 week....and see what happens....everyone I know who has tried it has lost a minimum of 6 lbs and up to 15 lbs in the first week....I lost 12 lbs in the first week....all water and carb burn off, but it was a good start. After that it is about 2lbs per week and that is with minimal exercise...you simply begin to burn your own fat for energy....sounds disgusting but it works.

St. Louis, MO USA
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

This is what you can eat on the Atkins diet. Eggs, meat, cheese. Just repeat that 1000 times a day and along with just eating that and you will lose. LOL I have done Atkins many times and lost good. I have lost 32 pounds in 8 weeks on it.

Now, I turned in my eggs, meat and cheese because I have a hard time eating meat now because I used that diet so much in the past before it became popular. I use Herbalife now so now I drink 2 shakes and one meal a day and lose the about the same. In 8 weeks I lost 28lbs.

I don't work out I hate exercise. The most I will do is 30 min of walking on my gazelle and I break it up over the day for 3xs a week. Then it's off to the tanning bed or spay on tans. Nails and toes are done a few days before I leave. I usually don't buy nothing new except a new pair of shoes like sandals.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
694 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

I don't like meat, but I like fish and chicken. Eggs and cheese and nuts too. What about low carb bread and low carb candy?

OK, I will start this next week!

Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

Like I said, we have been counting calories. I eat like 1700 a day but I am very active. My husband who does not have time to exercise is eating only 1500 calories. My mom who is doing weight watchers has lost 3 pounds in two weeks. Only four weeks to go and we are tightening our belts, more water and less beer!!!!!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

I started a diet 3 weeks ago and go to the gym 5 days a week. It's a must before vacation. You definitely want to look good in your swimsuit. Then when I get to Cancun I don't want to have to worry about any of the above because I'm on VACATION!!

chicago
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

South Beach diet. Better than Atkins for me, more focus on long term healthy eating. No carb for 2 weeks, lost 7 lbs. Adding good carbs back in this week and ramping up exercise. Cardio interval 2x wk, spinning or other cardio 3x wk. Want to lose 5 lbs. and tone up before I hit the big "4 0" this October. Cancun trip on 3/28 is my first incentive to get it together!

kansas city
Level Contributor
437 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

I had very good intentions of trying to shed a few pounds but never did it. I fly out at 3pm tomorrow (yeah!!) so I guess I am to late!! Off to Riu Caribe. I will be celebrating a big birthday... one that ends with a ZERO. The trip was my gift from my husband. Cheers!

Albert Lea, MN
Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

Actually, we will probably exercise MORE on vacation than at home. And we will watch what we eat (although we will eat well), but we aren't going to go to Cancun to gain weight. We exercise or walk 30+ minutes EACH and EVERY day back in Minnesota... we will definitely do much more in the warmth of Cancun. We also eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day.... 1 carb choice per snack and 3 carb choices per meal. The exercise and food lifestyle has helped us and lots of our friends lose weight, without really sacrificing much... it's GREAT!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who diets & exercises more before vacation?

This is what I do, because i didnt think those other diets were working. Just increase how much you eat during the day but scale down the amount you eat. What happens is your metabolism gets used to you eating 4-5 small meals instead of 1 or 2 giant ones and it speeds up. Then work out regularly doing cardio and lifting or whatever your preference. I'm doing this now and did it last year and its worked really well. I lose weight and gain muscle back. Now with this, i have also cut down on how much i've been drinking and what i drink and i also watch what i eat (no greasy foods or pop or sugar). I havent had a beer in 5 months (and if you dont think thats something, thats really hard for a guy in a fraternity in college). I also drink whey protein and cell-tech before and after working out, that helps too.

But this is just my two cents, do what works for you. :-)