We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sayre, Pa
Level Contributor
374 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Passport question

Our passports expire in September of this year and we were originally just going to Cancun in October so in July I was going to get a new one. Well, we just planned a trip with the kids to Cancun in June as well so now I wonder if we need to get a new one now. I wouldn't think so but I remember reading something here (some time ago) that there may be an issue if the passport is close to expiration date. Of course, I can't find the post but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Jen

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport question

Check with your airline - Mexico won't care but your airline might. Then again if you're getting a new one soon anyway why not just get it now?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport question

This comes up periodically. One consideration is that airline policy/misinformation of facts may be the bigger concern.

Sayre, Pa
Level Contributor
374 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport question

It's true I could get one now. It's just that I have lost a lot of weight and will lose probably 25 more pounds before July and for the first time in my life, I will have a thin face. Just wanted my passport pic to look good for years to come. Still have to stare at my fat face on my drivers license, lol!

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport question

Norm is your passport has to be valid for 6 months after your travel dates.......

Sayre, Pa
Level Contributor
374 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport question

Well, I am definitely not taking a chance, I will be renewing this week.

Thanks guys!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport question

Re #4: "Norm", as in, many countries. But not Mexico. It's been discussed at length. Reply #2 sums it up.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport question

Smart move, do not take a chance.

Renew.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport question

I recall replying to this issue a few months back. It was a specific airline they were concerned with so I looked it up and it's policy is "your passport had to be good for 6 months after your departure date".

I agree you should renew it now, why take a chance? If one airline has this policy, others may too. It doesn't matter what Mexico's policy is if your airline won't let you on board to get to Mexico.

9. Re: Passport question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 01, 2014