We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety & security for driving to Chicken Itza

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Safety & security for driving to Chicken Itza

I have read through some forum posts to find some horror stories about police harassments when driving in between Chichen Itza & Cancun eg: fasely alleging that you are speeding and then taking bribe to avoid being ticketed.

Does anyone have any recent story/advice to share?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety & security for driving to Chicken Itza

Just do not break the Mexican law while driving, just like in the States and you will be fine....Although here the police will be more proned to more of a conversational nature than back home. Brush up on the Spanish a little is my advise

Edited: 12:42 am, April 07, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety & security for driving to Chicken Itza

I'm tired of all the paranoia. Here's a nice story instead:

lawsonsyucatan.com/2011/…

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety & security for driving to Chicken Itza

I have NEVER heard of police harassment on that route because it's federal and the feds aren't going to bother you for a few bucks.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety & security for driving to Chicken Itza

Agree with Steve, most of the problems come from the Cancun area and few from the Yucatan, where Chichen is located. But I believe in most cases, the people who claim to be harassed , actually broke the law and don't admit it . You hear nothing from most who make the drive but from the very small percentage who claim to have a problem.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety & security for driving to Chicken Itza

"...fasely alleging that you are speeding and then taking bribe to avoid being ticketed."

===================================

Unfortunately, you have a few people that come on this and other boards and make this false assertion. Trouble is, they're not telling the truth, and people perpetuate this crap.

The truth of the matter is that as already stated above, and I'll repeat it since the lies have no trouble being repeated. READ THIS: police DO NOT PULL OVER SOMEONE THAT IS NOT BREAKING THE LAW. Clear? They do not pull someone over for no reason and ask for a bribe.

Yes, la mordida does exist. However, if you weren't breaking the law, you won't be pulled over, thus it won't affect you.

I sure wish we could get this straight. It's not that difficult.

Edited: 8:55 am, April 07, 2013
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety & security for driving to Chicken Itza

I do have advice about driving to Chichen Itza. If you take the cuota (toll road), have cash - pesos - to pay the toll. Also, fill up with gas before you get on the toll road. There is only one rest stop on the toll road. We also onboard chips, snacks and drinks as there is only one stop (the rest stop) for those things, too.

When you get to Chichen Itza the entry plaza has nice restrooms. There is a town nearby named Piste that has some good restaurants with restrooms before the return trip.

So, obey the laws and have a wonderful time. We always rent a car and follow the laws (seat belts, speed limits) and haven't had problems.

Cheryl

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety & security for driving to Chicken Itza

We drove quite a bit through Q.Roo and Yuc. on our trip - not specifically on the federal highway between Chichen and Cancun, but we put over 1000km on our rental car, so we got around :-) Roads are great and we didn't have any troubles - other than a couple wrong turns here and there.

One caution is that the speed limits do change quite a bit on some routes. The speed limit changes in towns are expected and there are huge speed bumps, so you pretty much have to slow down, but other speedlimit changes can sneak up on you - lower speeds around a large turn or junction between highways or major roads. The limit might have been 100km and now it is 60km for no reason that we would expect - feels weird to slow down so much, esspecially since most other cars won't, but you need to pay attention to the limit signs and resist the urge to just go with the flow.

Another caution is to read up on the scams at gas stations. It isn't a huge deal, just something to watch out for. Basically just watch to make sure the attendent has zeroed out the pump, pay cash, use exact change or close to it, and when you hand over your cash, say the amount you are giving and look at the attendent for comfirmation before you let go.

8. Re: Safety & security for driving to Chicken Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 09, 2014