We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

Hi all!

My boyfriend and I are leaving for Cancun in 2 weeks and I really want to spend a day in either Xcaret or Xel-ha. Both parks seem to offer lots, so I am torn between the two. For those of you that have gone to both, which do you prefer and why? Also, how far away are each of these parks from the hotel zone? Thanks in advance!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

I would go for Xcaret. Xel-Ha is smaller & mostly water activities. Xcaret has water & alot more, full day trip. Tour each web site to see how much more Xcaret has to offer. Museum, zo, aviery, underground river, shows. If you take a tour Xel-Ha is a 1/2 day coupled with Coba or Talum ruins.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

I also would go for Xcaret ver XelHa... more to do, and plenty to see for a whole day; go on your own mid day and miss the tour grous and stay into the evening for the night show. There are showers and dressing rooms available if you want of bring a change of clothes.

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

The food at Xel Ha is so bad that I would never go back nor would I recommend that anyone ever go there. Mix that with the heat and fact that you are doing physical activity all day and you leave feeling like you've been stranded in a desert all day. (22 year old athlete saying this)

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

Xcaret

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

I too would choose Xcaret. Fun all day experience.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

I guess I;m in the minority, but I love Xel ha and Xcaret is not my thing. Maybe because I didn't love the underground thing at Xcaret and that was that.

I love everything about Xel Ha and we always do it ourselves and spend the whole day. I have not found the food that bad as stated above and some of it was quite good. I like the snorkelling and in general found it great.

To each their own though. I'm sure you will love either, but definitely whichever you do, do it on your own. No need to pay a crazy price for the tour bus just to stand in line. Just take a colectivo and pay the entrance fee and then no lines:) Unless you're unlucky enought to arrive at the same time as a tour bus, but then boogy to get in and get your stuff done and try to do things in reverse of where the group is going.

Edited: 12:32 am, February 17, 2013
Huntingdon, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

Firstly I've never been to Xcaret so can't offer a comparison to Xel-Ha. What I can say though is that I've been to Xel-Ha a few times and will be going again this year. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you enjoy being in the sea, albeit in a lagoon, swimming, snorkelling, cliff jumping, going along a lazy river in an inflatable then you will enjoy Xel-Ha. Contrary to an earlier post I thought the food was very good with plenty of choice and good enough quality. Remember this is a park that caters for many, many people. Pretty much everything you need is included in the price - snorkelling gear, life jackets, food, locker, towels - the only thing we paid for on the day was some photographs. You do need your own bio-degradable sunscreen or you can purchase it on site. All in all a great day!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

Depending on what your looking for there is more to do at Xcaret and it is more 'theme park' like vs. Xel-Ha that is more of an 'Eco-park' and a half day vs. a whole day.

Darlington, Maryland
Level Contributor
224 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

Xcaret is like a small Disney-style amusement park, right down to the bus that picks you up at your hotel (at least in Playa). Xel-Ha is more "natural" (whatever that means), and a bit more low-key. That's what it comes down to for me: Xcaret is flashy and crowded and highly entertaining; Xel-Ha is less flashy, slightly less crowded and more of a self-guided experience.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha

Thank you all for your help! We're looking for a great snorkeling spot and are now leaning towards heading to Isla Mujeres for that instead :)