We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Marlboro, New Jersey
1 post
Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

I had been coming to Cancun 3-4 times a year. Usially I rent from Hertz or Avis at the airport. This is the first time we were renting from Payless. We got hooked on slighly lower rates.

What a scam!!!

We got a reservation via Orbitz for $315.00 a week, total of $945.00 plus 10% taxes to the total of $1039.00. Sounded OK till we got to the rental place.

First they said that the rate did not included taxes and added another $104.00 despite us having the printout.

Than they said that they do not honor USD prices and their conversion rate is 14.9 pesoes per 1 USD (the bank rate was 12.1 the very same day).

Then they said that we have to prepay the cost of the car despite us having US insurance, American Express insurance and optional Orbitz insurances (yes all 3). They placed a hold for 270,000.00 pesoes (about $22000.00 USD for 15k car).

After all, our rental was about $1400.00 USD or $466.00 USD a week. This is after fighting almost for 3 hours not to buy $45.00 USD per day their own insurance.

Neither Orbitz nor Payless Corporate were willing to help and said that local franchise is determining the prices and that their quote was just an estimate and they could not quarantee the reservation.

I have never had anything like this happen to me neither in US, Canada, Middle East or even China!

Under no circumstance do not rent from PAYLESS in CANCUN. You may like the initial offering price a few bucks less but at the end it will cost you 50% more then you might think.

SHAME ON PAYLESS FOR KEEPING THIS LOCATION UNDER THEIR UMBRELLA

72 replies to this topic
21. Re: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, March 04, 2014

MS
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
22. Re: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

Payless Cancun is a SCAM. I reserved an auto for 1 week on kayak.com. The terms and conditions specifically say that Mexican Liability Insurance is included and that SLI (supplemental Liability) is OPTIONAL. When we arrive we are told that we must pay $22/day for required Mexican liability insurance. After pulling the paper work and showing them the fine print, they begin to say that it's the SLI that is required. Once again I show the paperwork and all they can say is that is KAYAK's and not their paperwork. Finally the agent says he cannot rent a car without me paying for SLI @ $22/day. By the way, i checked the official PAYLESS CANCUN site and it states :"Property damage/public liability is included in accordance with insurance laws of country and covers up to MXN 25,000.00 in basic third party liability protection. Theft, vandalism or damage to parts and accessories are not covered. Optional supplemental liability insurance (SLI) is available for purchase at a rate of $14.95 USD per day. It is a protection which extends the coverage of legal liability up to a maximum of MXN 750,000.00. If declining the SLI, an additional credit card approval of $5000.00 USD will be required in addition to the estimated total for the rental."

ALL WELL AND GOOD EXCEPT THIS IS A LIE - CANCUN PAYLESS IS SCAMMING YOU AND DOING THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THEIR TERMS/CONDITIONS. TAKE THEIR SCAM OR GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. I SUGGEST YOU RUN SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
46,651 posts
23. Re: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

Kayak, Orbitz, etc are just as guilty (and yourself)

Before you posted your only post, did you research this topic on Trip Advisor , ask any questions, confirm car rental costs through a few other sites??

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
46,651 posts
24. Re: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

Here is a good post from Huffington

huffingtonpost.com/matt-gibson/the-hidden-co…

Car rentals (with all insurance ) for the bottom model will cost 45-40 $ a day

I take the whole insurance bundle for piece of mind

Edited: 11:01 am, March 25, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
133 reviews
25. Re: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

We got in a similar mess. Wish I had seen your review before booking with this company. We walked out. Who needs a car? We will just enjoy the beach!

26. Re: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, December 15, 2014

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
27. Re: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

ABSOLUTE SCAMMMMMMMMMM and THIEVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We rented from Expedia. Upon arrival I was working with an agent and denied extra insurance. All was well until his manager - LUIS ALBERTO (herein referred to as THIEF) - cancelled the agreement, ripped the contract and said - it was mandatory!!! MANDATORY!!!!!! He said check the policy, blah, blah, blah - after 20 minutes of argument, I decided to check the policy. Surprise Surprise --- IT WAS NOTTTTTT MANDATORY as THIEF said it was. The insurance is optional! After being called out, THIEF decides that I need to put a $14k deposit on my credit card for the vehicle. According to the policy, they can ask for whatever they want.

These people are thieves and its a shame. They are not allowed in the airport and I now know why. They need to fire LUIS ALBERTO and close the location down. It's disgusting.

New York City
Level Contributor
200 posts
16 reviews
28. Re: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

Hello follow travelers

It is always fun to read new posts about auto rental scams and ripoffs. I keep seeing complains about the same bad actors because we are NOT reading the reviews posted by folks who know who they are. I have had good luck with Easyway rent A Car. But read their reviews. If you do not like them keep looking. It does not take much Spanish to get around by cab. Plus they are inexpensive. BTW the locals do NOT tip cabs. The rates are fixed by zone. If you take a cab from somewhere in the hotel zone to another zone location you will still pay a flat rate. So walk or take the bus. Enjoy Mexico. I always do.

God Bless

Carlos

Seabrook, Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
29. Re: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

Sorry to hear about your rental car problems while in Cancun, Mexico. The key word is MEXICO!

We just returned from a cruise that included a port stop in Cozumel. Alamo SCAMMED us for an accident that didn't happen. They were upset/mad because we would not take their insurance.

Dishonest people ruin things for everyone. Still hoping that Alamo will come through and not say it's a franshise!

Toronto, Ontario...
1 post
1 review
30. Re: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam

Just rented from Payless Car Rental in Cancun. Same experience. they are scamers. But I don't think it is just the local Cancun branch is at fault. I am absolutely convinced it is done with full knowledge and blessing of the Payless HQ. I did not reserve on line because I was expecting shenanigans. So I called and talked to the real person. She skillfully told me half truths. I specifically and explicitly asked "what insuranace do I have to get when I rent the car in Cancun". Her answer was "none, all insurance is optional". when I came to the counter I was told that liability at US$20 was mandatory even though the bill clearly called it "Supplemental". CDW was optional but they would put the entire cost of the car on my credit card. Basically, they made sure to extract $40/day for insurance on a $70/week rental. If they told me upfront what the charges would be I would not have blinked. But I asked repeatedly and was told that "additional insurance" will be offered at the counter but I would be not obligated to buy any if I have other insurance (my credit card and my own car insurance). Liars and cheats.

Reply to: Payless Car Rental in Cancun Mexico is a Scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted