We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oshawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

Hoping anyone can give me some info on the $1500 resort credit and how it works? What can it be used for and is there anything I should know about?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am travelling with my wife Dec. 18th for 1 week.

Thx

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

How it works....There are various things you can use the credits on: spa ($300 max), tours, romantic dinner, photo session, wine upgrades, room upgrades, etc. They'll explain it all to you after you arrive.

What you should know.....Your room will be charged 11% of the dollar value that you use, as a tax. So if you use all $1500, you will have to pay $165 when you check-out.

It's a pretty good deal.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

@Arseneg, that's not really true, at least not in our case at Le Blanc. We got $750 for doing the timeshare. Used $130 to upgrade to honeymoon suite oceanfront, used $255 in the spa and I bought the spa package set for $320. Only tax I paid was the $35 for the package set and the $5 extra dollars for going over the $250 in the spa. I honestly told my husband we were probably look at least at $77 but was shocked when we checked out with a bill for $40!! So I'm not sure whether they only tax tangible items or what, but for me the 11% didn't happen for everything!

btw, BJ, most definitely have your wife use all $300 at the spa. I ended up with a mani, pedi, eyebrow wax and serenity massage for $255. We were only allowed $250 out of our $750 credits. You can use it on tours (we've done enough). At the Moon Palace they now have a dolphin swim which I would highly recommend. We have wonderful pictures from ours from last December. You can have photos taken. You can use it in the jewelry store, but can only use maybe $300 and their prices start at $400, so you end up paying a lot more, I think. Not worth it to me. If you search around here, I know Cbus-dawg has written volumes on the credits. Enjoy the MP. We went there for the timeshare and it's huuuuuge but it looked neat! I would like to go there at some point.

Edited: 4:16 pm, December 15, 2012
Amherst, Ohio
Level Contributor
498 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

courtrep45. I think if you booked before April, you were not subject to the tax, but if you bought "product" that was subject to the tax before the change. Now, they are charging 11%.

bj-graham - there were a couple of moon palace promos this year and it depend on when you booked. There was a time where they let you use it all in the spa and another time where they doubled the $1500. For the most part, they let you use 20% of the 1500 at the spa. Usually you can use it to upgrade rooms, golf, tours. There is a limit to how much you can use with swim with the dolphins during certain seasons. I would check with who you booked with or email the concierge at moon to get specifics.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

@Arseneg, that's not really true, at least not in our case at Le Blanc.courtrep45

Yes, it is true that you pay 11% tax on any credits used.

NOT on the 'freebies' included for club members.

If you did were not charged the tax it was most likely before the "free from tax" break ended earlier this year.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

@Joan, we booked in January so what you said is most likely true for us. keeping track of all that stuff is way too convoluted! *lol* I'm just glad I expected to pay more and didn't!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

@courtrep - OK, I sit corrected....because I don't stand for much these days. The fuzzy old brain is sometimes sluggish in retrieving info from the over-crowded memory banks. I sometimes wish I could do a de-frag, clean up the registry and re-boot. Now that you mentioned it, I seem to remember that our bill last trip was less than what I had anticipated and I was not charged the 11% on all the resort dollars used, but I couldn’t figure out what we were charged for and what we weren’t. And being less than expected….I cheerfully accepted it and quickly forgot about it.

BTW – glad you enjoyed LB, and had a great vacation. Did you warn them at BP that I was on my way?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

@Arseneg, I think we have found out why we weren't charged and that's because we booked before April, at least on my part. That's the reason I really don't care if I get the credits or not, but after the way it went doing the timeshare this time, my husband would kill me if we did it again. Unfortunately for him, I made it seem like I was interested and he was not so they kept prodding. It went 30 mins beyond the 90, so hubby was none too happy. After my husband explained it to me in private on the way back, it really isn't a deal. They just want your money upfront. It would be a better deal if members got their weeks at half price. Interestingly enough they say in the future there will be no deals. Hmmm, then I'll just look for another place to stay with a deal. There's always going to be a deal!!

Alas, no, I never saw Antonio! So you will just have to surprise them. *lol* Too bad you don't live closer! I'd have you bring me back more pottery for presents! haha We only do carry-on and we were packed to the gills bringing back blankets and shells! I found four huge ones embedded in the sand and very intact.

When do you go?

Oshawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

I thank you all for the info. I guess the best way to look at it, is if we pay 11% tax on any of the credits, thats still a very good deal. $300 in spa use and pay $33...no problem. Anyone know what the golf prices are? Do they rent clubs? I assume I will have to pay for cart?

Also, if we are booked in a deluxe ocean view suite, what upgrade room (and price) should I look at, and what kind of price will I expect?

Thanks again...3 Canadian sleeps away...

Oshawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

courtrep...

curious...is your profile pic from Moon Palace? Any restaurant suggestions? Is it worth upgrading to the "concierge" level?

Thx

Oshawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moon Palace Resort $1500 credit

LaTa3...

What is Le Blanc? is that a spa in the Moon Palace resort? Do you know where I can find the list of services available for the resort credits?

Thanks so much for your help!