We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

security issues?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
security issues?

i was reading on the honeymoon board on the knot that there are security issues in mexico...something about kidnappings? i am not really sure the post didn't go into detail. can anyone give me the details, reassure me that going into cancun is indeed safe? we are staying at crown paradise club in june for our honeymoon. thanks!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: security issues?

You have NOTHING to fear in Cancun....it is very safe. I went out alone and feel safer there than in my own town. Don't worry. I have heard nothing about kidnappings in Mexico...I'm sure that happens down there, just like it happens here in the states, but really, you'll be very safe and you chose a wonderful place to stay. We just got back Monday night from the CPC and were upgraded to the honeymoon suite....if you've reserved one, you're going to LOVE it!!! Congratulations!!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: security issues?

They do have kidnappings on occasion. Don't be flashy with money and jewelry. Don't go out alone at nite. Don't go on anyone's private property. Sometimes, there are corrupt cops looking to make money, and will try with anyone. There have been kidnappings, but mostly in rural areas. The only kidnapping I know of, happened about 4/5 years ago, to a young girl named Brenda Searle. She was actually killed by a Cuban man, and he was caught. He was not a Mexican national. And if you have to pay extra for the safe deposit box, in your room do it. If you get the safe included, be sure to use it for all your valuables. Don't leave your cameras laying out in the open, or fine jewelry. Most of the time, Cancun is safe. And don't stroll into the lagoon at nite, at all. There are crocodiles that live in Cancun, and they sometimes come up, out of the lagoon at nite.

Little Rock Arkansas
Level Contributor
280 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: security issues?

maybe i will take the club bouncer with me. You can hire them but you have to pay for them to.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,752 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: security issues?

The primary problem has been in a couple of the border towns nesr Texas. As with any travel-use caution and common sense. Have fun!