We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
387 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

We are Canadian passport holders, one of our passports expires in June 2013. We hope to be in Mexico in early Jan 2013 for 2 weeks only. The Canadian government "strongly recommends" travelling with a passport that has 6 months to go in this case the expiry date would have to be end July; forcing us to spend quite a bit to renew it. 6 months in advance of its expiry. We are retired and every penny spent needlessly is unwise.

Does Mexico require this 6 month buffer? Do the airlines arbitrarily enforce it?. If not, then the only reason would be self serving, revenue grab by our government.

Is there an authoratative position on this (weblink)?

Thanks

Edited: 4:13 am, November 14, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
387 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

Thank you for you sound advice. Here is my take on this.

I will check with the airline. They usually are the ones that want this out of the way. I expect the immigration officer to know this or to check with peers or supervisor. Not all of them can be wrong (corruption aside)

Secondly the "cheaper" 10 year passports @ $160 are not uet available and there is no date in mind. That is exactly why I'd like to wait till they are.

The govt. link say:

"Pending parliamentary review and completion of the regulatory process, the new fee structure and the 10-year ePassport should come into effect in 2013. The new fees will not take effect until the adoption of the ePassport is complete, and the option of 5- or 10-year validity is offered to adult passport applicants."

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,070 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

quote: You can obey all the rules you want but at the end of the day the immigration officer has the right to refuse you without reason - and I've seen it done many times.

And I have heard your own airline will refuse you leaving to MX becuase they may have to pay for your return

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

This must be a Canada rule that your passports are only good for 5 years? Mine was issued in 2006 and expires in 2016.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

Yes Nursey, other countries have had 10 year passports for ages but here in Canada, we've only been able to get 5 year ones.

I believe that in the UK, if you renew your passport within 12 months of its expiry, any outstanding "time" left on your old passport is tacked onto your new one, so technically, you can get a passport that's good for almost 11 years. The added advantage, of course, if that no one balks at renewing 6 months out because there's no downside to doing so.

Let's hope Canada sees the wisdom in that approach and our new passports really will be good for 10 years and not 9.5.

Edited: 3:45 am, November 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
387 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

Words cannot express my gratitude for such fine, sensible responses; specially the first hand experiences. I have concluded that the airlines will take the path of least resistance as understandably they do not want to keep track of which flight will be affected by a deviation from one rule or another.

There should be no excuse for the Immigration and Passport control folks. Their job requires them to know their countries policies. They too I suspect have the same problem. That's because less than 6 months is OK for Canadians but maybe not for citizens of China. Otherwise they would be crazy turning back tourists that their country wants desperately, given the scare of drug wars in their urban centers.

I'll have to cut back on this seasons expenses and support my wife's efforts to look really (non smiling) sharp for her new passport photo. That will buy us 4.5 years of travel. Good thing we have no dog that hankers for chewing passports.

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

Did you ever get official notice about the passport expiry rules to Mexico?

My un-married daughter was unaware that she needed full custody of her 41/2 year old son to renew his passport. She does not know where the Father is. We want to travel to Mexico in June and my grandson's passport expires the end of June. I'm hoping we can still travel to Mexico as long as his passport is still valid.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
753 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

I just booked yesterday and was told that he 6 months apply....Travel agent and Airline said the same....

Edited: 12:02 pm, February 16, 2013
Salinas, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

That sucks. We might have to go to Hawaii.

19. Re: VPassport Expiry Rules for Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 18, 2014