We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empty Bottles

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Empty Bottles

This may be an extremely silly question... but... can you bring back empty glass bottles from Mexico to the States, or full for that matter? My brother in law is a Pepsi collector and our hotel stocks the fridge with it. They are different than our bottles so we would like to bring him back some. THX.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Empty Bottles

Yes, you should be able to...but make sure you put it in your checked baggage -- If you put it in your carry on, security will confiscate it because it can be deemed as a weapon.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Empty Bottles

I know people who collect glass bottles of Coke from around the world, no problem. Of course, that's in Canada.

Worse case scenario, bring it in your carry on, if you get searched, tell them you brought it to drink on the plane. The worst thing they can do is confisacte it, and you've lost what? A dollar?

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Empty Bottles

I do not think bottles get confiscated.

They sell tons of liquor in bottles at the duty free shops

that are all carried on.

Maine
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Empty Bottles

Thanks. I was getting a little worried for a minute because we are only going down for 5 days and are planning on only bringing carry-ons. Traveling light I guess you could say. So, can liquor bottles be put in carry-on bags? We may have to break down and bring a suitcase...

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Empty Bottles

I highly suggest you put ALL BREAKABLES in your carry on luggage - if you want them intact when you get home :-).

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Empty Bottles

Yes..liquor bottles can be carried on.

After you have checked through security there are duty

free shops that sell cheap booze. You HAVE to carry it

on the plane with you.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Empty Bottles

I tried bringing an empty beer bottle filled with sand on the plane once, and it was confiscated immediately -- and this was before 9/11. I would just be safe and wrap it in a towel and put it in your checked bag.

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Empty Bottles

Dood...do you think they took it because of the sand?

bugs?. etc....