We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Chichen light and sound.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
SLC, Utah
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Question about Chichen light and sound.

I am staying at Moon Palace, arriving 5-15. I want to see Chichen Itza, nut noticed a light and sound tour as well. What is the difference? Also I noticed the tour leaves at around 11:00am, if the drive is 2.5-3 hours it would place us at the lacation at about 2:00-3:00. I assume the show is at night so what do we do for the approximate 5 hours until it gets dark?

Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours
Queen Angel
Sightseeing Tours
Best Day
Sightseeing Tours
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Cancun, Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Chichen light and sound.

Once you get to Chichen Itza, you are given the tour and then some free time to explore on your own (A couple of hours total). Then they put you back on the bus and take you to dinner at a great Mexican Restaurant. The food there is truly Mexican and very, very good. They also put on a little entertainment for you, while you eat. After dinner , they take you back to Chichen Itza for the light and sound show. If you do not rent the headphones you will not no what is being said at the show(headphones are optional). We did not know this until it was too late and so we did not understand a worrd of what they were saying. However, the starry night sky at Chivhen Itza, over the main Temple, was incredi ble. I never saw anything like it and it was well worth the trip.

It is however a very long day and you will not return to Moon until at least 11:00 PM.

Seattle
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Chichen light and sound.

Yes, the light and sound show is the longer of your tour options. If it is the same tour (as I gather it is) the drive is about two hours. Then you eat lunch. You tour the ruins and then swim at cobo (I think that's the name?) and then back to the ruins for the light and sound show after sunset.

IOf it's your first time, I highly recommend it as a great day trip but you'll be exhausted afterwards; it's a long day! Also, bring something with you to eat for the drive back! I recall EVERYONE being starved by that point and fortunately the bus detoured to allow us to buy food at a store.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Cancun, Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Chichen light and sound.

We had dinner, but a swim at Cobo was not included. We just made it back to Chichen Itza in time for the show.

Seattle
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Chichen light and sound.

Our tour was lunch before the tour of the ruins, not dinner. Probably a good idea they changed the format because as I said, we were all starving by the time we hit the road back to Cancun. Too bad you missed swimming in the 300 foot crystal (and extremely cold) clear water of cobo. What an experience.