We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Fare

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Fare

I realize that bus fare is 6.5 pesos per person, but can you pay with bills? Last time I just went with my husband and we paid with coins, but this year there will be 5 of us and it just seems like it would be easier to pay with bills. Or do they have bills that big? I can't remember this pesos thing confuses me big time! LOL I guess what I'm asking is... I figure it will cost about 33 pesos each ride for all of us. What is the best way to pay for this?

Va
Level Contributor
11,052 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Fare

The buses always seem to have change!

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Fare

We did see people pay with US bills - but that doesn't mean

another bus driver will be able to do it. Maybe just get

change at your hotel front desk before you leave? have fun

US
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Fare

Yes, KIA. I paid with bills while down there. They have plenty of change.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Fare

Go ahead, use the bills as much as you want - although I wouldn't try to use a $500 peso bill -- that would be like going to the store and using a $50 for something that costs $3 -- you'll be fine on the bus with anything up to $200 pesos.

Dayton, NJ
Level Contributor
483 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Fare

I would make sure i had as close to exact change as possible. i've seen the driver run out of change and the people had to hope that enough people got on before they got off. if you figure on 33 pesos, you can use a 20 peso bill and the rest in coin.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Fare

sometimes we got onthe bus for just 6 pesos... or whatever... sometimes the bus drivers dont care. But most of them give change back. Even if u pay in american.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Fare

Thanks everyone. I kinda thought we could use bills, but I just wanted to make sure. We had a hard time coming up with those small coins last year and figured it would be easier with bills for all of us. Thanks again!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Fare

32.5 pesos for 5 people per ride. Bus fare is 6.5 pesos. If you don't have exact change, you could miss out on the 1/2 peso for each ride. They seem to always run out of those.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Fare

Yes, you can use bills......I never even exchanged money on this trip....just used American and when I got change in pesos, used them to buy things with and used the change for the bus. I still have quite a bit left for my next trip.

St. Louis, MO USA
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus Fare

I just gave them 7.0 pesos and didn't care about the .5 peso they could keep that. All where going to give it back to me but I said no, gracias. I don't think I am going to lose sleep ove that amount. Some bus drivers will not give back change if you give them American bills. Just be ware of that.