We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tucancun? Sold?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,062 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Tucancun? Sold?

Just booked this hotel for April 16-23rd. Now I'm reading "rumours?" about it being sold? Anybody know anything. I booked thru Funjet, so I'm not overly worried. Worse case, I beleive, they put you to another hotel, and I'd be happy at most of them. But, just curious.

Also, anybody have anything good (or bad) to say about Tucancun. Made the decision fairly quickly, but it was a good price. Been to Cancun several times before, so I'm familiar with the area, just not this particular resort.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tucancun? Sold?

ZsaZsa -- I'm staying at the Tucancun between April 16-21 -- I've heard rumors too, but from what I'm hearing from most people, there shouldn't be anything to worry about and that we won't notice any changes at all.

As for the resort itself, I think you'll enjoy it very much! First of all, it's in a great location on one of the best stretches of beach in all of Cancun -- It's directly behind a shopping mall, so if you care to shop while you're down there, you don't have to go far at all....

The rooms are nice, but try to request an ocean view room, even if it means coughing up a few extra bucks a night. You'll thank yourself. There are no clocks in the room, so be sure to bring one of your own. Food is average to above average, and there's always plenty to choose from, which is the best part of it all. Drinks are very good, not watered down at all, and the bartenders are great. This will not be the most luxurious place to stay, but this will more than meet your needs.

We'll have to have a few drinks sicne we'll be there at the same time. Where in Wisconsin are you coming from?

Cheers,

weatherdood

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,062 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tucancun? Sold?

Weatherood - Doesn't sound so bad! We aren't looking for luxurious, so I don't think I'd be disappointed. I've looked at the Oasis Cancun, and I like their pool area better. I'm a sucker for a huge pool and nice beach. But for now, I'm happy with Tucancun. We are from Fond du Lac, and like you, I'm sure, sick of winter! We were in Cancun back in Oct for 3 days, stayed at the Westin, not impressed. Not disappointed. Then in Dec we were in Cozumel, went to Cancun for a day. We like the CAncun area, like to walk around, eat, drink, relax. For us it is the best of all worlds! I used to go back in college, but that was a whole different experience! We'll have to look each other up for a drink!!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tucancun? Sold?

No -- you won't be disappointed -- you'll find that there's enough to do for all ages. I'm 26 and have found there to be something for people my age, and for people both older and younger. You made a good call in not booking the Oasis Cancun -- Yes, the pool area is huge and their grounds are in great shape, but it's basically a spring breakers resort....A little too loud for my liking. Like I said before, the beach at the Tucancun is fantastic, and will probably be in even better shape in April than it was when I was there back in January...and even then it was in good shape!

I'm up in Rockford, IL -- so not too far from you, and yes, I can't wait for winter to be done...And having to deal with the weather as my career day in and day out makes winter that much tougher to bear. So a nice getaway in April will be just what the doctor ordered. Will you be traveling with a big group or just by yourself/yourselves?

Cancun is the best of all worlds, I couldn't agree with you more. I've been going down there once or twice a year for the last eight years or so...When I first started going while in college, it was great because it was a non-stop party. Nowadays, it's nice to go down and just relax by the pool or beach, sip on a few tropical cocktails, and still hit the clubs a time or two if I feel the need.

Feel free to drop me a line at mhenders927@gmail.com if you want to know anything else about the resort...otherwise, I'll look forward to enjoying a cocktail or two with y'all down in paradise.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,062 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tucancun? Sold?

Oh No! I just put a request in to my TA last night, asking to switch to the Oasis Cancun. I'll probably hear later today if it went thru. I was just taken in by pictures of the pool area. I have to have a gorgeous beach to look at, but hate the sand getting everywhere (!), so I usually choose to sit by the pool, and this one has 3 swim up bars. Either way, if it doesn't go thru, I won't be disappointed with Tucancun, I'm sure. I'll just have to see what happens.

I will be traveling with my husband, we are mid 30's. But we don't have kids, and enjoy partying, to a point. Definately like relaxing too!!!!! It's not like those old Spring Break years, that's for sure! Or maybe I'm in bed by 9pm. But that's what vacation is for, to do what I feel like!

One thing is for sure, we are all going to have a great time!

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tucancun? Sold?

Well I hope it works out for you either way -- Let me know where you end up, and if it's the Tucancun, we'll make sure to have a drink or two!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,062 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tucancun? Sold?

Well, we were able to switch to the Oasis Cancun, and wouldn't you know, every review I'm reading now is bad!!! But you know, no place is absolutely perfect. So, I'm just going to hope for the best!!!! Just being back in Cancun will put a smile on my face. The pina coladas help, too! I'm kind of hoping that the middle of April will not be heavy on the spring breakers.

Illinois
Level Contributor
4,447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tucancun? Sold?

I'll hope for the best for you at the Oasis too! Have a terrific trip!