We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Hi All,

I saw this topic, but the latest that I could find was a post from 2009. I'm going to be in Cancun at the end of August to beginning of September 2012. I'm staying initially on Isa Mujures. I'd like to take the Ado bus on a Sunday (preferably very early) and go to Playa Del Carmen for a day and a half. Do the buses run on Sunday? Is there a shortened schedule? I can make my way over to Downtown Cancun, and I believe there is a bus terminal there. correct? Any idea of cost, I heard $10 USD one way.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
569 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

http://www.ado.com.mx is the site for checking times.

Sunday you could leave at 6:15 a.m. (or every 15-20 minutes thereafter) for $48 pesos.

ottawa
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Hey there,

You can search the bus schedules at the following site:

http://ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp

¿De dónde sales? = Where are you leaving from = Cancun

¿A dónde vas? = Where are you going = Playa Del Carmen

Viaje redondo or Viaje sencillo = Round Trip or One-Way (check one)

Horarios = Time of day (Select Manana = Morning)

Click Consultar

The ADO bus terminal in Cancun is on Tulum Ave., near the Commercial Mexicana. Any taxi driver will be able to get you there from the ferry dock (take the ferry from Isla Mujeres that goes to Puerto Juarez, not the ones that go to docks located in the Hotel Zone, as those are more expensive and far from the ADO bus station).

There are very frequent bus trips between Cancun and Playa del Carmen and it costs 45 pesos which is less than $4 USD.

The ADO bus drops you off right downtown in Playa del Carmen on the corner of Benito Juarez and 5th Ave., which is where all the restaurants and shops are, and only a block from the beach.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
569 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Easy peasy.

Say "ah day oh" (ADO) to the taxi driver, and "Playa del Carmen" to the ticket booth person while holding up as many fingers as you have people. He'll sell you one-way tickets, and you simply repeat the process when you're ready to return.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
569 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Perfect! Thanks for the reply and that is exactly what I'm looking for. I particularly appreciate the tip as to which ferry dock to choose. Again, thanks it is appreciated.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

THANK YOU so much for the detailed information.

Just what I needed.

One question... unfortunately I am one of those tourist who does not know much Spanish.

I see buses that are marked as Paso and Local.

Also options that cost a bit more. It looks like ADOplatins and ADOgl.

Just out of curiosity, should I know what these mean?

Again, thanks SO much for the priceless info here!

Sahuarita, Arizona...
Level Contributor
27 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Anyone know how long the ride from cancun to playa del carmen is?

On the ADO site there are two playa del carmen options--anyone know which one to take?

Also, is carmen a good place to snorkel?

Thx!

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
569 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Erika, it takes about 80 minutes. I generally leave from the 5th Ave station (not the Alternate). They are a 20 pesos/two minute taxi ride apart.

I do not recall if the PDC to Cancun bus from 5th Ave stop at the Alternate station.

Edited: 4:58 pm, May 14, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Snorkeling: closest is Puerto Morelos, 20 mins. or so. The ADO stops there, take a cab down the road to the town. Go to the pier - best snorkeling! Boat and guides are $25-$35 for a couple of hours on the National Parque Reef. Equip. rental also if needed. Playa Del Carmen is not known for snorkeling generally for visitors. Take the ferry to Cozumal (read up on that) or continue to take the ADO to Akumal for more reef or sea turtles. A few bucks for bus, free beach and snorkel, equipment rental also. Of course, plenty of great restaruants there or near. The Akumal stop has been iffy as to whether or not ADO stops at Akumal. If not it does stop 20 mins. down the road at Tulum .. (no snorkeling beach there) and cab it back up to Akumal. However, the Mayab bus at the main terminal in Playa costs $2 and stops at the Akumal beach site. Let the driver know. Walk the 5-10 minute nice walkwy to Akumal.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
569 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Limbo
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

CO_Pilott...last time I took that bus, it did stop by the second terminal...however, I don't know if this is standard practice for all the buses.

Sahuarita, Arizona...
Level Contributor
27 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ado Bus - Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Wow, thanks for all the info! Cormac, I like that Puerto Morales is only about 20 min. away...I think I may go there instead and do some snorkeling.