We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Cancun airport ATM

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LaSalle, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Best Cancun airport ATM

Has anyone done any research on the best bank ATM to use at the Cancun airport to get peso's on arrival? I know my bank only charges my $2.00 fee but would like to know if the Mexican Bank tacks on a fee as well. I am also curious if they provide a decent exchange rate. I would think they would be close to the posted world rate which is around 12.75.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Cancun airport ATM

yes, all the Mexican banks tack on a 29 peso (approx) fee, the same way a US bank would if you use a machine at a bank where you dont have an account. You might want to find out what banks, if any, your bank has a relationship with and the fee might be waived.

Most large US banks charge a % (mine, Chase, is 3%), not a $2 fee - so I'd love to know what bank you use and change accounts!

even though I go to Mexico regularly, I can never remember what bank I dont get charged the fee at - last trip I got charged 29 pesos at Banamex and Scotia, but it might have been Bancomer (I know it was definitely Scotia, the 2nd time). But the first bank gave me 16 to 1, which I though had to be a mistake, but it seems I was lucky for the first time in my life and the withdrawl hit my bank the minute the peso was at an all time low?

You should get pretty close to the interbank rate (what you're calling the "posted world rate") withdrawing funds from any bank ATM in the airport - it might vary by a few cents, depending on the bank.

suitcaseready.com

Ferndale, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Cancun airport ATM

evening, I bank with PNC and they charge a flat $5 for every ATM transaction and 3% for swiping your Debit card for purchase. Hope that helps

peterborough,cambs
Level Contributor
560 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Cancun airport ATM

going to Cancun April 13,can any one tell me the best and safest atm to use while there & is it best to take some dollars as well as pesos

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Cancun airport ATM

As far as best and safest, I find most are safe. But make sure they are bank owned ATM´s and not privately owned. I use only pesos and obtain them from bank ATM´s. All give you the bank exchange rate, which the best you can get. I do prefer the ATM´s belonging to Banamex since most are of the ¨swipe¨ variety and no danger of your card being retained.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Cancun airport ATM

Newbie here.

I am a bit concerned about making a mistake when using the ATM...

Do some of them have the directions and selections in English.

Is it confusing.

Do they all give you your cash in Peso's?

I read somewhere of somebody paying the fees, and accidentally withdrew US dollars. then they had to go pay to have those exchanged.

My husband wants to get Pesos at our small bank...

But, if the clueless and useless older woman I spoke to was right, it was a real rip off.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Cancun airport ATM

Most have instructions in both Spanish and English. Most will give only pesos but if they offer a dollar option, stay with the peso. If you get dollars , you will pay very high fees since you are doing a double exchange.

Remember the symbol for the peso is also $. So you will see big numbers for withdrawal options, such as 500, 1000, 2000. Remember, you are seeing pesos not dollars.

Its really very easy but do remember to use only bank owned ATMs. Private ones will likely charge you very high fees.

Sudbury, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Cancun airport ATM

Are there Bank owned ATMs at the airport?

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Cancun airport ATM

Open up a Schwab Investment Checking Account, all atm fees reimbursed..

bolesblogs.com/2012/…

Fidelity Cash Management Account might be just as good.. depends who you talk to..

Edited: 2:47 pm, January 03, 2014
Cancun
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Cancun airport ATM

There are Santander (Bank) ATMs in Terminal 2 & 3, all ATM will tell you their fees before you complete / confirm transaction

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Cancun airport ATM

The exchange rate is determined by your home bank, they will convert the pesos to USD. Most banks use the interbank rate which you can find on many apps as well as many online website. Currently about 13.10 pesos per $1 but it fluctuates. Many banks will charge 3% forex fee which essentially reduces this rate, but this varies - check with your local bank. This has nothing to do with the airport and everything to do with your own bank.

As for airport ATMs there is a Banco Santander in the exit hall, but they now charge a fee - I think 40 pesos.

I went to 4 bank ATMs and unfortunately they all charge fees now (used to be free). The fees I saw ranged from 20-60 pesos so it pays to check out a few machines if you have time. I will publish a separate post with the lowest rates I found and hopefully others can update it. But what this means is that you are better off visiting the ATM infrequently and withdrawing more cash if you can. A fee of 20 pesos on 2000 pesos is only 1% but if you only get 500 pesos you are paying 4% - a big difference.

As others have noted Schwab bank will reimburse this fee - but most don't.