We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Military

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
447 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Military

I've heard a few people say that on a recent stay in Cancun and on Isla there has been a heavy military presence. Is this true? This was their first time so I don't know what they consider "heavy" vs. what is usually there.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Military

you often see the military in mexico. they let my son in law hold a M-16 and get his picture taken with them. no need for paranoia.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
447 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Military

Yes- I've seen a few there in recent years but the people I talked to said recently they are all over the beaches. I've always felt safe there and really have no concerns. Just wondered if that was accurate.

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Military

Perhaps there was meeting of some type at the time or a politician in the area.

Other than that, I have not noticed a larger presence.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Military

President Calderon was there over xmas, could have been related to that. earlier paranoia post was a poor assumption on my part, sorry

Edited: 1:13 pm, January 02, 2012
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
447 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Military

Katz- No need to apologize. It's all good. :) Thanks for the info all! Counting the days down and cant wait to get back.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,665 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Military

Yes, President Calderon was in Cozumel with the family over the holidays. Always a big increase in the security forces when he is around.

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Military

If your see a large number of military on the beach there probably is someone important around. If you are just seeing a few walking don't be alarm. There are military posts on the beach, for example in Puerto Morelos, and they are walking often for training. I personally think they are walking the beach for the same reason most men walk it, only they are getting paid to do it.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
405 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Military

We only saw 1 soldier our entire trip there...and that was on the way out of the airport. He was standing guard. Other than that, we only saw police cars and a few police directing traffic around construction.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Military

Isla Mujeres has a large navy base so you do see a large military presence.

10. Re: Military

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, February 22, 2013