We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

I've just realised that the currency symbol for Peso is $. I was looking at the transfer cost from the airport to the hotel zone and saw it was $55 round trip. I originally thought this was US $ but now, am I correct in thinking this is actually 55 pesos?

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

If it is a private transfer the price quoted of $55 round trip is US and not pesos.

Va
Level Contributor
10,839 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

That symbol is confusing especially in shops. You will see things priced in what you might think are in pesos only to have a shop keeper tell you that it is in dollars.

The funniest thing was the first time I went to get money out of an ATM and I wanted to take out $100. The atm showed my withdrawal as $10000. I almost freaked out before I realized what was going on.

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

The majority of tourist related sites in English quote in USD.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

For the longest time, maybe still, the Mexican money was refered to as NP (new peso) as they changed over in 1973 from the OP (old peso)...

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

You mean 1993 correct? That was when the conversion was implemented to stem inflation.

corozal Belize
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

Hello all

I have done a great deal of travel in Mexico, Central America and Asia

My recommendation on experience is to assume that since you are in a foreign country that the price mentioned would be in that country's currency.

I aways look for USD next to the quoted denomination.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,909 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

With the greatest of respect to wa7ups, based upon my experience in this part of Mexico, I wouldn't make that assumption - many prices ARE in US dollars and it's not always clear.

Sometimes looking at the product/service will give you a clue - a bottle of rum in the store labelled "$15" is obviously gonna be US$15 and not 15 pesos. Other times, you just can't be sure ..... so you simply have to ask.

Edited: 11:42 am, November 09, 2011
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,606 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

You will often see the peso version of the dollar sign having only one slash, not two....but not always.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

I have to agree with Llisa here. That assumption may be true in the majority of locations but not in a very tourist oriented area. The Mayan Riv and Cancun are very tourist oriented and many times prices are posted in US dollars. If you aren't sure, just ask.

Cheryl

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexican Peso - Currency Symbol is $

Right , 1993 was the change over..I was thinking of the

Uruguayan peso, it changed over in 1973...