We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
247 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

There's a tour offered that is of both Tulum and Xel-Ha. You can also choose to do just Xel-Ha if you want, and you then spend the whole day at Xel-Ha. We're primarily interested in Xel-Ha, but I'm wondering if a whole day there will be too much. On the other hand, since you do Tulum first, I'm worried we'd not get enough time at Xel-Ha.

So, is Tulum worth going to? The combined tour does not cost much more than doing just Xel-Ha, just about $10 more actually. But I'm thinking we might be bored at Tulum and just anxious to get to Xel-Ha. We'll have my six-year old son with us, and I'm sure Xel-Ha will sound much more exciting to him than Tulum will. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Queen Angel
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Specialty Shops
Best Day
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

Hi. We've done the tulum/xel-ha tour a couple of times. Tulum is interesting to see, and I would recommend seeing it once, but we felt we would have enjoyed the day more just spending all day at xel-ha. Especially if you go in june like we did & it gets scorching hot way up there. Also, if you have a young child, he would definately enjoy xel ha more. Last time we went with our whole family (brother, sister, kids, dad, etc...) and we had a 3 yr old & a 10 yr old & basically spent the whole time at tulum either carrying the youngest or listening to the older one whine about going to xel ha. Hope that helps & enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Va
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

It depends on your appreciation of myan culture. Tulum is a very interesting place. It may be boring for a 6 year old, but you can always hit the beach in Tulum if you get bored with the tour then go on to Xel-Ha.

If you don't care about the ruins then go to just Xel-Ha.

Even better and cheaper, why not rent a car and drive yourself? Then you can decide where to go and how long you want to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

Thanks for the feedback, you two. Definitely helps. I'm leaning toward just Xel-Ha.

At Xel-Ha, is there enough to do aside from the snorkeling to keep busy for a whole day? I think you arrive at 10:30 and leave around 5:00. Kind of a long time, isn't it?

Also, the whole idea of the all-inclusive trip to Xel-Ha is kind of weird, but the Xel-Ha only trip is all inclusive. I can't really imagine eating that much while on an outdoors wimming/snorkeling trip. One small picnic lunch would be about all I could handle. But maybe it's worth it for the beverages. I can't imagine drinking ANY alcohol during those activities either. Drinking and snorkeling! LOL! But if anyone did the all-inclusive Xel-Ha, how did you like the all-inclusive aspect?

Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

We did all inclusive. Mostly for the drinks, though! There is plenty to keep you occupied. There's the dolphin show, where you can swim with the dolphins or watch others swim with them. There's beach areas, snorkeling, you can get innertubes & float around, and one of my favorite parts was the hammock area!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

Don't waste your money on the tour! You will get there very late and the water will be cloudy w/ an hour or two at most! You should either rent a car, do a taxi or collectivo! And get there around the time it opens...8am ish. You will have a much better time and save lots of money! You can still buy the all inclusive at the gate...still saving money over the tour. It is also cheaper on sundays. There is LOTS to do all day! I would give the same advice for Tulum...rent a car and go on your own...very cheap to get in...do it at your pace and definately go to the beach! You will waste sooo much time on the bus stopping at all of the hotels!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

How much would/should a taxi from the top of the hotel zone to Xel-Ha cost? Is it easy to get taxis to go back?

The cost of the Xel-Ha only all-inclusive tour with the Brant card is Adult=$72, Child=$45 (supposedly the retail prices are $95 and $79 respectively).

And you supposedly arrive there about 10:30.

Seeing as how the bus picks you up at your hotel around 7:15 AM, and you depart (maybe from the last hotel) at 8:15AM and arrive at 10:30AM, that's a long time on the bus.

How long a drive is it direct?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

I did not realize you were staying in Cancun...a taxi ride would be very expensive...not sure how much. A small cheap rental car (but good) should cost you around $60 for one day...well worth it!!! Would take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get to Xel Ha at most...depends on how you drive. You should check out xelha.com and change the language to english and you will find out all you need to know about prices for all inlcusive or non. Depending on how many hours you want to stay at Xel-Ha you could easily go over to Tulum (a short ride) and do that mid - late afternoon. Much more bang for your buck! Don't be afraid to do it!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

Is the swimimng with dolphins and intertubes and everything included in the price of the Xel-Ha tour, or the Xel-Ha/Tulum tour? And where could I book the tour?

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

the swim with dolphins costs extra, i think the innertubes are included with your entry price. you can book right through your hotel, or probably pre-book through some of the web sites on here that offer tours.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xel-Ha and Tulum, or JUST Xel-Ha?

Don't waste your time doing a tour..... we got a taxi from Iberostar and it was $40 one way to Xel-Ha but we were in the water and snorkeling before the tours hit and then we ate and were just lazying around when the lines formed for the dinner.... get there right when it opens (either 9a.m or 10a.m) and it just makes the day soo much nicer.