We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London, United...
Level Contributor
593 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

I'm just wondering why the prices so high everywhere?? I was expecting prices to be in pesos, but I just keep seeing prices that I would pay at a US hotel, car rental or attraction! Am I missing something?

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

You should live here. You would realize very quickly that it is Mexico and not the U.S. People who get out of the hotel zone and out of the all inclusive hotels will find another Cancun...one that uses pesos, has cheaper prices for most things than in the States and food that is nothing like Taco bell and Tex Mex.

Mostly due to time constraints, people stay in the hotel and/or hotel zone and therefore pay higher prices as you would in any other hotel/hotel zone in the world. When I travel, I can stay in the hotel and order room service and pay $50 usd for a meal or go out of the hotel and around the corner to a street or fast food restaurant and pay less. Same in Cancun except it may be a bit farther than just around the corner.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

barry mary................why do you keep saying remember Cancun isn't real Mexico? Its every bit as real as any other city/town. Just because its a top tourist destination does not make it unreal.

I come from Bournemouth in the UK, very popular with holiday makers, its like saying thats not real England.

And yes its safe to say if somewhere/something is in high demand then the price will reflect that.

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
527 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

" Cancun is only 3.5 to 5 hrs away almost from every city in US. "

I think sig hit the nail right on the head.... People will pay more to go to a marvelous place due to its close proximity...I know I do.... Some mentioned Disney World and Cancun in the same sentence before. Well, DW is only 2 hours away from me, and Cancun is only another 2 hours from DW.....Why would I want to I want to fly 6 to 10 hours toi get to a place, when I have it all within 4 hours? Will gladly pay more .....Just MHO ...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

I find it very absurd and amateur for people to suggest Cancun isn't 'real Mexico'. These are undoubtedly the same people that never left the hotel zone, advise others to never rent a car although they have never driven the area, and don't have a clue where to find the real bargains. Uninformed, and speaking from.lack of experience, thus they give themselves away as amateurs.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

There are always endless arguments about what is "real" Mexico or "authentic". The fact remains that Cancun 50 years ago didn't exist and it was created solely for tourists. Unsurprisingly prices reflect that.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

In February, my wife and I had a wonderful, authentic lunch downtown. Total price including beverages: $6.50

Time to get out of the HZ folks. Explore.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

SteveMex is correct.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

Very good point by Stevemex... As I understand it, Cancun was planned to be what it is now from the get go. They scouted different areas of the country, settled on that part of Yucatan for precisely the reason to start building a mega tourist destination within the country.

I would say that yes of course it is a part of Mexico, but having traveled all over that country I feel it is also safe to say it is a watered down, tourist oriented version.

I can also say that some of my favorite beaches in the world are in the Yucatan. The beach at Tulum is hands down one of my favorites, and just a hop skip and a jump from Cancun, 45 minutes max. Swimming with Mayan ruins around you is awesome.

Also one of my favorite restaurants is located in Cancun, 100% Natural has some tasty offerings.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

hi loladorset

i will give you a simple answer to your bournemouth example.

90 to 95 % of the people living in the uk could easily live in bounemouth

even if it is a holiday resort, that certainly cant be said for the beautiful mexican people who live around cancun. i could spend in one day in cancun more than they take home in wages in a month and thats the lucky ones. and that is what makes these wonderful mexican people so special and brings me back year on year not only to holiday in this fantastic country but also to be with these incredible beautiful people.

barry and mary

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Is Cancun a part of the USA?!

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this: "I consider pricing to be equivalent to a larger US city, like NYC or Chicago. "

Back to the subject though...I consider Cancun very inexpensive. Of course I compare it to where I live, not to every other place I can think of in the world. Of all the places within 6 hours travel time it is by far the best deal around.