We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ID Requirements to enter Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
baltimore, md
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Topic
ID Requirements to enter Cancun

My husband was just denied a passport because he is making child support arrearage payments!@#$ Is a raised seal birth certificate with drivers license sufficient. We are getting mixed answers. Does anyone know the accurate id needed?? HELP.

Williamsport, PA
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ID Requirements to enter Cancun

Yes it should be sufficient...when are you going?

Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ID Requirements to enter Cancun

I know from Canada all you need is a picture ID and birth certificate. Not sure if that helps but that is all we take.

baltimore, md
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ID Requirements to enter Cancun

we are going 2/15-2/19 so hopefully the raised seal cert and drivers license will work. Expedia.com gave us incorrect info and said we had to have passport.

KY
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ID Requirements to enter Cancun

I just returned 2 wks ago, and dl and bc was fine..I had been advised to get a copy of my marriage license, to tie my maiden to married name, but it was not asked for. dl and bc entry is a little slower than passport, but, hey it's Mexican time..and everything moves slower..except the immigration clerks at the airport, they are stamping their hearts out as fast as they can!

KY
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ID Requirements to enter Cancun

Just a footnote...if you think about it..I don't believe that there will ever be a passport requirement for US citizens to enter Mexico...as the economy lives on our tourism dollars and they want to make it as easy as possible for us to bring our money there to spend. Again, you will be fine with just dl and bc.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Tracy, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ID Requirements to enter Cancun

Check the State Department website for the *official requirements* for US citizens entering Mexico, and that should clear up any questions you might have (the US Passport Agency also has an 800 number and e-mail address for any questions you might have).

Also, too, check the State Department's page on travel advisories, and get your vaccinations in order before you leave.

Best of luck and have a good trip!

Jerry

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ID Requirements to enter Cancun

Yes, he can get into Mexico with a valid driver's license and a certified copy of his birth certificate (raised seal). That's all he needs.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ID Requirements to enter Cancun

I apologize if this sounds rude...but galee...do you really believe that the mexican economy survives because of the american tourist dollar? This may be true for the Cancun area...but I would hate to think that ppl would go to mexico expecting to see strictly tourist as their main source of revenue. The American tourism industry simple can not support over one hundred million Mexicans. Mexico has alot going on....and it's not all tourism. Some being petroleum, silver, copper, gold, lead, zinc, natural gas and timber It's easy to get his view possibly when you are in Cancun but the country survived long before the american tourist and will continue to survive even if the americans were to 'restrict' travel to this country. Cuba is a good example of this.

I do hope to experience Mexico beyond the extent of the 'tourist areas' although as a tourist I do realize this may be tough. I guess I'll just have to do my best to see beyond Cancun the 'tourist spot'.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
St. Louis, MO USA
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ID Requirements to enter Cancun

A government photo ID like a D.L. and a birth certificate with a raised seal, or certified copy of your birth certifcate will work.

That is strange denying him a passport because of child support payments? But the above should work.