We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza Tour from Palace resorts

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Chichen Itza Tour from Palace resorts

I'll be in Beach Palace in July.

I would like to spend some palace vacation dollars with tours.

Does anyone have more info with Chichen Itza Tour arranged by Palace resorts?

In particular, I would like to know 1) how long the tour is.

2) any problem is the buffet lunch they provide

3) the tour, heat, lunch, etc. are bearable for kids 7 and 10.

Alternative is Tulum/Xelha tour or Coba tour also arranged by Palace...

Another alternative is to rent a car and go to CI myself - not sure how expensive or feasible it is.

Anyone did particular tours with Palace resort, please give some input.

Thanks!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza Tour from Palace resorts

Jlee001- Greetings I shall be staying myself in BP in June. Second visit.

Your questions in order

1. How long is the tour? Roughly 2.5 hours each way, CI is about 125 miles from Cancun. The tour is roughly 2 hours guided, 1 hour on your own, 1 hour at a cenote. lunch, and a sovenier trap store hmm another hour. That is close to it.

2. Buffet- Ok, nothing special

3. Heat- BRUTAL want me to underline and italize it? It's going to be real hot, I don't know if your kids will handle it. It's in the midle of the jungle, they should though.

4. Tulum/Xel-Ha This is not a free tour from palace resorts, I have done it though. It was expensive, but good. However Tulum tour is also a free one with palace resorts. They go to Aventura Spa Palace for lunch afterwords. Long day as well, shorter than CI day will be, but not by much.

5. Rent a car? Why? 125 miles is 125 miles. There are potential pit traps you gotta be aware of. You might run into a local policeman who needs his hand greased. Or it could go smooth as silk. But why pass on the free tour? Car could be worth it otherwise.

Other tours

1. Isla Mujeres- Ok, requires me to write several paragraphs. Sorry to tired, but they drop you at dolphin discovery, you can stay there, go on a snorkel tour for $$$, go on a golfcart/Island tour for $$$, you cannot go to IM palace though it's couples only, with the kids. They then go downtown for shopping best to blow it off, and just walk around town by yourself for 1.5 hours, until they depart for mainland.

2. Wet N Wild- Not bad for the kids, water slid park, and it's between airport and Sun Palace, about 7 miles south of Beach Palace.

3. Swim with dolpins- At Wet N Wild

4. Tulum/Spa Palace- HOT again, and all day again

5. New tour Aquaworld- No good detail on this one it's new I will link it below

6. Zipline- Down near Moon Palace and the airport. Not sure if the kids can do it. I never have I have vertigo so NO WAY

7. Coba not done this one yet to far away makes CI look like a drive to the suburbs. Three hours one way, no way. I want to do this one though.

Ok here is a link to explain the Palace bucks program in detail, some of the info is out of date already, but outside of the new tour, its on stuff not for kids like Daddy O, and Coco Bongo's nightclubs, no more Jungle tour either.

Just follow the various links

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k435055…

New Aquaworld tour thread read the whole thread or just ThinkG33K parts

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k442291…

Another helpful thread for your kids at the BP read the whole thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k435482…

Hope that helps (laugh)

Toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza Tour from Palace resorts

C-busDawg, thanks very much for your detailed response.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza Tour from Palace resorts

1) Chichen itza : you leave the resort around 8:00AM and be back around 6:00/6:30PM ( a good idea is to ask room service or the front desk a box lunch to take on the bus , cause like C-bus said it's a 2.5 hrs ride to the site)

2) The lunch is ok , the drinks are not included.

3) The weather at this season is HOT here in Cancun.. Chichen Itza its more like in the center of Yucatan and is Hotter. Bring hats and tennis shoes and lots of water.

4) The tour is Tulum / Xpu-ha not Xel-ha. It leaves Tuesdays and Saturdays and on Thursdays it goes to Tulum / Aventura Cove Palace

Don't waste your money with a rental car unless your doing close by tours like Xcaret or maybe a cenote, Akumal , Tulum.

But any how , C-bus just covered must of the tours = )

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichen Itza Tour from Palace resorts

ThinkG33K- I was wondering if that tour was stopping at Cove palace instead of Spa Palace due to the kids. Still doing Xpu-Ha palace on tues and sat?

Jlee001- You get free water, big bottles in your room refrigator take them with you. Maybe ask a waiter at breakfast for even more water might be a good idea too. I never thougt of the box lunch idea good one Think, he was thinking.... anyrate.

Lastly send a message to SandytoesMinnesota she is the last responce in the kids in Beach Palace thread. She has some really cool takes on a kids view of staying there.

Toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichen Itza Tour from Palace resorts

I am a bit uncomfortable having to eat a buffet meal outside of hotels in CI - We do get sick easily... boxed lunch from room service is a great idea, if I can get it.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chichen Itza Tour from Palace resorts

One thing to keep in mind is the place where you eat lunch does this constantly, all week long so they know what they are doing- it's not some random gas station you stop at to grab a bite to eat. I wouldn't be too worried about the lunch. Personally I'd be way more concerned about getting sick eating something that was prepared several hours earlier sitting in a non refrigerated box than the buffet.

Did anyone mention that it is FREAKING HOT.

The bus ride is actually quite pleasant, especially on the way back. Big comfortable tour bus. You will appreciate not driving as you nap in the A/C on the way back. No way I'd drive.

Edited: 9:06 am, May 10, 2011
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,372 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chichen Itza Tour from Palace resorts

You might consider buying a cheap ice chest/cooler (Styrofoam?). A bit of ice and it will keep food and water cool.

8. Re: Chichen Itza Tour from Palace resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 01, 2012