We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

Ok - do I said I would never do it again (get married), but here I am. My fiancee and I live in Mexico City, he is a Mexican citizen and I am an American.

We would like to get married on the beach in Cancun/Isla Mujeres/Playa del Carmen. Our wedding will be small, just the 2 of us, and we really just want a simple, beach wedding.

Has anyone gone through this experience and can recommend a decently priced hotel?

I have been to cancun 11 times and mostly stayed in the Riu properties, but we are open to any hotel.

To give an idea of our dream wedding: on the beach, without shoes, me in a simple off-white sundress and my fiancee in a linen shirt and khaki shorts, a bottle of tequila for the toast, and our own music to play when we walk down the aisle (have not decided on which song.... something romantic but unconventional).

The only thing we are dead set on is having a video taken and a lot of photos. Other than that we would like to keep the ceremony simple and fun.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,845 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

Definitely look at the Riu and Palace resorts. They have wedding packages that are complimentary for guests up to certain numbers. They also have some very reasonable prices for photos and videos, too.

Congratulations and good luck!

Cheryl

Cancun
Level Contributor
488 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

In my opinion Dreams Cancun has the best location for a gorgeous small wedding in Cancun.

dreamsresorts.com/drecu/plan-your-wedding.ht…

Prices are listed on the website, under the different packages. More expensive than some, less expensive than others. Not sure what your budget is, but IMO it's the prettiest location.

Le Meridien would be second as far as the setting goes.

new jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

My son was married last November at the Gran Caribe Real. Their wedding coordinator was named Flora. The wedding was on the beach and just beautiful. They had about 40 guests, but I saw many smaller cermonies during the week we were there. Congratulations and best wishes!

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

I'd look on the Isla Mujeres board - especially if it's just the two of you. You'll have a more intimate experience on Isla.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

Great suggestions so far... From our balcony at the Hyatt Regency, we watched a wedding ceremony happening over at the Dreams Resort and it looked beautiful. I also believe for a small wedding, Le Meridien would be an excellent choice, as would be the Ritz Carlton, both for an ultra high-end experience.

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Survey Guidebook

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

I have stayed with Riu, between the 3 Cancun hotels, 10 times in the past. I love their service.... but the package for just a couple costs $1150, and up to $1,000 for a photographer. That is the price without ANY guests either, which only goes up from there. I have been speaking with the wedding coordinator for Riu..... I may check out the palace resorts, I have heard that if you stay 7 days the wedding ceremony is free. It is just the 2 of us, so we dont need all the extras.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

I will try that also. La isla is a lot more quiet and romantic, but it is my future husbands first time to Cancun so I wanted to show him Coco Bongos and places like that.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
59 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

The Royal in Cancun does a really good job setting up and decorating for weddings. I was there last May and watched them set up many weddings. One wedding even had a light up dance floor on the beach, it was very cool.

9. Re: Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:27 am, May 04, 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel for a destination wedding in Cancun

As far as resorts...these are the most popular for weddings:

*El Dorado Casitas Royale (Riviera Maya but still close to Cancun/Playa)

*Le Blanc

*Ritz Carlton (yet VERY expensive)

*Sun Palace

*JW Marriott

*Dreams (although lots of children here, so maybe see what else is out there if you aren't a "children" person)

Riu's are great for a vacation, but for a wedding I would not recommend them. We have had clients who were very displeased with their service when it comes to weddings.