We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best all inclusive resort in Cancun for a family reunion?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
Best all inclusive resort in Cancun for a family reunion?

My husband is turning 70 in October. I am looking for an all-inclusive resort in Cancun for ages 3 - 70 that offers great quality at an affordable price.

I want a kid friendly beach and good food.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Westport...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best all inclusive resort in Cancun for a family reunion?

I would check out the Dreams Cancun and the Cancun Palace. If you were willing to go a little farther South I would check out the Iberostar complex-Beach,Del Mar and Lindo. Also the Now Sapphire.

Jill

Blue Springs...
Level Contributor
621 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best all inclusive resort in Cancun for a family reunion?

Cancun is on a shape like a number 7.

The long side of the seven or leg, has the most beautiful beach and wonderful clear water. But the waves are kind of high and rough.

The short side of the seven or the top, has a great beach but has some growth in the water. However the waves are smaller and not as rough. Easier to wade and swim.

So if you are picking the resort by waves for all ages I suggest somewhere along the top of the seven shape.

Level Contributor
1,283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best all inclusive resort in Cancun for a family reunion?

Cancun Palace has something for everyone. We always travel with a group and they are great at catering to you. Great kids club too!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best all inclusive resort in Cancun for a family reunion?

Misspoovey has it exactly right, and is the reason why you may want to shy away from resorts that are on the Caribbean side. This would include the Cancun Palace, which is a very decent place however for a family reunion, with kids. However you do have other options that face the Bay of Isla Mujeres...

You should consider the Dreams Resort, because their beaches are well-protected against the waves from the Caribbean, even though it is located on the point known as Punta Cancun. Also it faces the bay, so keep it on your short list of considerations. Others include the following:

Riu Cancun

Riu Palace Las Americas-this is the more upscale sister resort of the Riu Cancun, and you can use the facilities at both.

Riu Caribe-this is also owned by the Riu hotels and is a great place for a family reunion.

Presidente Intercontinental-reasonably priced resort, does tend to close up early, during the 9-10 pm hour.

Barcelo Costa-this resort faces the bay and is also a good consideration, a little closer to Centro (Downtown) Cancun, and the ferry to Isla Mujeres.

Oasis Palm Beach-this resort is currently running a sale, and it just reopened, so keep an eye out for the reviews as they come in.

If you decide that you are open to the resorts that do face the Caribbean side, you should consider the Cancun Palace again. Here are others that should remain on your short list:

Beach Palace

Barcelo Tucancun

Great Parnassus

Crown Paradise Club-an older resort but highly rated for families with children.

GR Solaris-also check out the Royal Solaris

Gran Melia-this resort is excellent, but may pose a challenge to those who have difficulty walking. I mention this only specifically having to do with getting from the street to the main lobby area requires a climb up stairs. However if you plan to use taxis, this will not be an issue as they can pull up directly in front of the main lobby's doors.

212eric (Author)

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Survey Guidebook

Level Contributor
1,283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best all inclusive resort in Cancun for a family reunion?

I would much rather have the soft sand and beautiful Caribbean sea than calm water with sea weedy sand. I was at Cancun Palace last week, and while the water was rough in the morning, the afternoons were totally swimmable. The Palaces also are giving $1500 Palace dollars per room to use for spa, tours, tequila gift sets, photos, limo rides to the airport and lots more.

Again I must say, stay away from Riu's. I suppose it isn't bad if you don't have anything to compare it to. Check my review of the Riu Palace Mexico which you can find by clicking on my profile. The beds were SO hard that my husband had to put the couch cushions on the bed in addition to the eggcrate mattress topper. Maybe the ones in Cancun are better, but I will never waste my money again.

Oasis is another I would not stay at because of my daughter's experiences there.

We have stayed at the Marriott Casa Magna which was nice, but not all-inclusive - and I hate paying $8 (years ago) for drinks by the pool!

The other hotels Eric mentioned I have no experience with - just read the reviews and have fun making the decision.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
18 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best all inclusive resort in Cancun for a family reunion?

I just returned from a week at Club Med Cancun a believe that is the place for your gathering. It provides 'camp like' activities for kids of all ages, plus an all inclusive resort for all the adults. Everything included for the price, including snorkeling, wind surfing, sailing, water skiing, trapeze, aerobics, ..the list goes on and on. At its all INCLUDED. Yes, you may see a higher price for the week up front, but when you consider all the services that are included, you cannot go wrong with Club Med. The people who work there are called GOs and they are the glue that holds the daily activities together. You will meet them, join them in activities, watch them in shows...all the while having a lovely relaxing vacation with your family. I've been to many other AI resorts in Cancun, Cozumel and the Caribean and nothing compare to the Club Med Experience. Your family member with kids will have their first real vacation in years because their kids will want to hang out with the Kids club all day. Enjoy your trip!

7. Re: Best all inclusive resort in Cancun for a family reunion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 30, 2012