We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Fremont, CA
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

We just came back from Cancun last night. We visited Xplor Cancun on March 16. The first thing we tried was the zipline (as everyone recommended from Tripadvisor). When we reached Tower 5 to Tower 6 , an accident happened. My son, a 19 year old weighing 135 pounds, stopped about 10-15 feet away from Tower 6 hanging in midair. The staff hooked on his gear and tried to reach my son, but a mom with a young girl had already been released down the same zipline from Tower 5. I saw them collide and the young girl started to scream. When the staff brought them back to tower6, the young girl was hurt very badly. The girl said that her tooth had been knocked out and I saw blood on the mother's forehead. My son was bumped on his shoulder and was left with a 1.5 cm diameter open wound. Before we entered the park we were asked to sign a consent form, but it only applies to unavoidable accidents. This incident was compltely caused by "HUMAN ERROR". The staff should not release the next person/group if the zipline is not clear yet, I don't know how much weight the zipline can hold, but with the lady and her young girl (about 6-7y/o ?) , my son and the staff all on the line at the same time, it could be overweighted. We don't know why my son stopped 10-15 feet before the tower. Maybe it is the zipline design, or the wind speed, who knows, but there is no precaution about weight or windy speed. My son ended up not being able to do the cave swimming and suffered from shoulder aches and stiff joint; I assumed the lady with the little girl left for emergency. After the accident, no one came to apologize or did anything. I noticed that some of the staffs were busy talking to their friends and was not even looking at the gear that he was hooking on. They did not ask you are you ready or not before they release you. We were extremely disappointed and concerned about the safety of Xplor Zipline.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Xplor Park
Xplor Park
15,142 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Cancun Vista
Horseback Riding Tours, Boat Tours, Swim with Dolphins, Archaeology Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Cancun Snorkel Shop
Scuba & Snorkeling, Archaeology Tours, Cultural Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Off Road Games
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

A similar accident happened to me at Xplor back in 2011. One of the girls in the group was sent down the zip line before the girl at the other end was released. They ended up colliding. The the staff's credit, one of the staff tried to stop one of the girls from getting hurt by moving between the two colliding girls. This helped the one girl, but caused the other girl more pain. While there were no broken bones, one girl in our group was banged up very bad and suffered the rest of the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Xplor Park
Xplor Park
15,142 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

We found the same thing at another place where we ziplined in Mexico...luckily there were no accidents...they just sent the first person before the second person was done. For this and other reasons I would never zipline in Mexico again. However, we do have zipping here in my part of Canada, and I have not checked it out to see if they do it the same way or not...sure hope not. Standards in other countries are often not what ours would be at home....thus, there are more accidents. A girl I work with zipped in Mexico and saw to girls collide and they both ended up with broken legs...ugh!!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

We went to Xplor last month, and I have to say I was impressed by their safety standards and care for customers. I used to be an adventure sports instructor (mostly water based, but some abseiling thrown in) and the staff seemed very on top of things. You were clipped to them before being allowed to step out, they checked the line was clear (visually or walkie talkies), used alternate lines, and checked with you that you were ok to go. I've become a scardy cat in my old age, and a few of them rattled me a little, and the staff noticed, told me to get a drink, on one occasion went and got me a drink, and said reassuring things.

To someone else's point - there is no way the 19 year old grabbed the line above his head to slow himself - he'd have cut his hand to shreds on the metal line. We did see several people stop mid- line, especially on the water ones - some people are heavier and sit low on the line, some dangle legs, some spin a little, (I guess the line has to cater to very light kids and heavy adults alike, and making it safe for one weight may lead to the other end of the scale slowing prematurely) but staff were always conscious of that and dealt with it quickly and safely.

Mentioned in this post
Xplor Park
Xplor Park
15,142 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

Did this last Friday and the staff seemed fine. Obviously there is no problem with "standards" as nobody is going to release someone without a clear line - but sometimes people make mistakes.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

I think some of The mean posts are just from people who come on these boards to get excited about their vacation and then see things like this. They dont want to hear bad news and then react a little harsh.....And it's sad bad things happen on vacation but they do! I have been to Mexico many times and think their safety standards are not the same as the US. Being aware of that, don't let your kids do things that look questionable! Same as at home. Many excursions I have taken I have thought I would never bring my kids to, like rappelling down cliffs and even zip lining, swimming in caves...the locals seem a little more aware of how to act in situations that could be scary...we are just not as used to it because we don't normally do these activities at home. The instructors don't seem to realize that. Just be aware:)

Edited: 9:02 am, June 12, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,997 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

Notwithstanding that today's comments are on-point, y'all realize that this thread is over two years old and the last post prior to today was well over a year ago, yes?

AND the OP hasn't been back!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
614 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

Actually it is good that these are bumped.

Too many of us have a notion that safety standards and attitudes are the same as at home (mishaps and accidents happen at home, too). It is good to be reminded, over and over again, about importance of travel insurance, being a bit more vigilant and careful (especially with own kids) when visiting parks, doing watersports or enjoying ocean. Keep in mind that they have more relaxed rules and almost no liabilities. You can't rely 100% on attendants and staff for everything.

Few years back my son cut his knee on broken tile in the resort pool, requiring stiches. We had insurance, resort provided free transportation and did everything to comfort us after, so it ended well, considering. I could blame the resort for oversight, but what if it has broken just before? They did fix it by the next day. This sort of stuff can happen anywhere anytime.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

I would encourage people to be aware of risks worldwide. Don't put the US above others with their safety standards. There are deaths that occur at DisneyWorld and other parks in the US. People have to be aware and pay close attention everywhere.

Cheryl

Mar del Plata...
Level Contributor
38 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

People gets hurt worlwide on all kinds of rides and tours, ask people who gets stucked in a chairlift in colorado or california how are the safety standards in the US for example, or people running a marathon or children at school or people at the movies...... bad things happen everywhere folks.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Extreme Safety Concern about Xplor Zipline at Cancun

yes, bad things happen everywhere. I don't think anyone is disputing that fact. This posting, I believe is to make people aware of bad things that did happen. Also...to beware that your insurance is likely not going to cover accidents such as one like this. As well, it may not cover you at home? It may be deemed an "extreme sport"????