We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clay City, Kentucky
Level Contributor
184 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

A lady in the office next door just returned from Cancun & said that there were armed guards on the beaches in the hotel zone, and airport/streets/etc. I was there in May & didn't see this, and I haven't seen any reviews mention it either. I am planning a trip for next year but am starting to worry. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Thanks

1. Re: Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:21 am, October 21, 2010
2. Re: Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:21 am, October 21, 2010
Sonora, California
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

I don't think the lady is pulling anybodies chain, there can be armed police on the beach, on the roads and/or walking on the street. Not to worry they are just doing their job. What seems to freak most people out is they have side arms and can be carrying automatic weapons. If you are having fun and not breaking the law, relax you are on vacation.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
375 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

There is a Mexican military post on Isla Mujeres, perhaps they were doing some training....?

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

The Mexican Federal Police ( Federalies ) regulary patrol the Beaches is Squads.Yes, they are armed with machine guns, ect. It is for your safety...

Clay City, Kentucky
Level Contributor
184 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

thanks for the responses, I have been to Cancun & Riveria Maya numerous times and never seen this, so this seemed strange to me in the hotel zone

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

I've seen them patrol the beaches in Playa, but not in Cancun unless there was something going on(e.g. summit). Wouldn't concern me if I did see them.

Beckville, Texas
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

it's not uncommon to see soldiers on the beaches, in the malls, or elsewhere in Cancun or anywhere else in Mexico. My first trip to Mexico City three decades ago I saw soldiers where we aren't acustomed (sic??) to seeing them here in the states.

I've been sitting on the beach in the hot summer time in Cancun and have a patrol of four or five soldiers dressed in black from head to toe walk by through the sand. That's got to be tough.

If there is something special going on in Cancun. . .a political meeting of some sort (remember the presidents of Mexico, U.S. and PM of Canada have been known to meet in Cancun) you'll see an increased number of soldiers and patrols.

don't worry about it. . .they should make you feel safer actually.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,029 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

Agree, its nothing new or anything to worry about. I have been coming to the area over 30 years and have always seen heavily armed military and other officers on the beaches. Nothing to worry about.

10. Re: Armed guards on beaches in hotel zone?

Removed on: 7:05 pm, October 20, 2010