We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

Hey Everyone!

My husband and I will be traveling to Cancun this July, for a 10 night stay at the Hilton Cancun Beach and Golf Resort. We got a really great room, and couldn't beat the price.

This is our first trip to Cancun, and I've heard from friends that food can be pretty pricey there. So now am wondering if an "all inclusive resort" would be a better choice. If so, any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

-Jennifer

Chicago, IL.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

I like the AI resorts just so I have the option of eating there and all the drinks I want, but if I'm off the resort, I eat out. We usually eat a few meals off the resort...we like to try new places and go back to our favorites. Cancun is pricey to eat out every meal and especially for drinks. You can really rack up big $$ without the AI option. There ARE reasonable places to eat, but you really have to hunt for them....I don't like spending my vacation looking for a place to eat my next meal. Some people, however, enjoy that, so it just depends on how you want to spend your vacation.

Chicago
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

CandyLady,

Any AI recommedations? We're in our mid 20-30's, and love a resort with nice accomodations, but need good restaraunts and attractions (like shopping) nearby! Even if it is an all inclusive stay, I'm sure we'd still like to venture off the resort for dinner or entertainment every so often.

Thanks again, your imput is great!

Jen

JJS
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

Jen, Try the RIU Palace Las Americas. It is a first class AI resort with a shopping mall (Plaza Caracol), flea market, entertainment (night clubs, discos), and restaurants all within walking distance (500 yards). The RIU Cancun is right next door and is another option (not as nice as RIU Palace, but not as expensive either).

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

JennyJudy, the RIU Las Americas is nice. So is Cancun Palace, Golden Crown Paradise, Secrets Excellence. You'd fit right in at any of those. They are AIs. RIU Cancun is nice but loses the sun midday due to its location. Secrets Excellence is between Cancun and Playa del Carmen....closest to Puerto Moreles. The rest of them are right on the hotel strip -- all the shopping/restaurants/clubs are on the strip...most people just catch a bus for 65 cents and go anywhere they want. Buses run 24/7 and come by the hotels every 2 minutes or so.

St. Louis, MO USA
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

It just depends on how much time you are going to spend in the hotel. If you are pretty much just sleeping there and eating out at different places and your not much of a drinker, European style might be better for you. But if you like to the choice to eat and drink when you want and whenever you want and plan on being at the hotel a lot go with the AI. Because like Candyladay said, it does get pricey eating out if your eating in the hotel zone. Downtown it is cheaper somewhat.

Northern Suburb of...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

Since you are planning on being in Cancun for 10 days..

why not split the trip? half the time @ an AI and the other

half at a regular hotel.

You might really enjoy that - especially if you stay at a

"adults only" AI. No kids...just relaxation!!

Re: prices...beers in Cancun are $4. enough said.

You could even split the time between Playa Del Carmen &

Cancun. might be fun!

Fort Drum, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

Depends on your hotel and how much you want to relax.

When I travel, I don't want to have to carry around my wallet.

I would never NOT go AI.

Food outside the resort can be expensive, clubbing is cheap depending on your choice of resort. Sr. Frogs, you pay one flat rate to get in and fill up your 'yard' as much as your want. Fat Tuesdays, you pay the same price to get in, and they have over priced drinks. Always keep an eye out for prices, and you shouldn't get ripped off, what you think may be a great price on something down there, you can proaly get cheap down the road, lol.

Chicago
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

Thanks so much everyone! I think I may look into an AI now. Thanks for all the recommendations, these boards are great!

I think we would like an AI resort in the main hotel zone. We enjoy being around lots of people, and like to be where the action is! We aren't HUGE drinkers (like getting drunk every night), but do like to relax with a tropical drink in hand and those can be costly! I was just talking to a friend of mine, whom visited Cancun last summer. She told me there are a few taco places she went to near the beach, that charged her 40 cents extra, for each condiment she put on her taco. So in other words, she paid $1.20 extra (in addition to the price of the taco), just to have cheese, lettuce, and tomatos added to it. She is honestly not a cheap person, but still thought that was ridiculous!

I will let you know what we choose...you all are great!

-Jen

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
134 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

My husband and I (who are in our late 20s) are not big drinkers either and we have booked the Golden Crown Paradise. From everything we have read it is not a huge party place and is more quiet. It is also adults only. We love all inclusive because you don't have to worry about spending more money than you already have when on vacation!

canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are Cancun All Inclusives Really Worth It?

When will you be in GCP BornToTravel?

We are booked for March 03-10 and from everything I've read in these forums since September I do think we've made the right choice for us.

counting the days.