We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lawrenceville, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

I will be staying in Puerto Morelos in September and have arranged round trip transport using USA Transfers (Entertainment Plus) with a stop at Sams Club/Walmart Cancun on the way to my resort. Can I pay for my purchases in dollars or will I need to go next door to Walmart to exchange dollars to pesos?

Mexico
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

Yes.

Lawrenceville, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

Thanks.

Won't bother with exchanging funds. Too much hassle and won't have to worry about the exchange rate when I return. Sams is the only place where I will be paying cash during my stay.

playa del carmen
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

Sam's/Wallmart are same company..both accept USD and at bank exchange rates, sometimes even higher...They will not accept $100 bills.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

The Wal-Mart in Cancun took my $100 last week

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

herkxena -

It is "too much hassle" to exchange into the currency used in the country you are visiting? What form of money do you expect to receive when you at your home city?

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

herkxena

sams and wal-mar tgive you at or above bank exchange rates, so you are actually better off with US$ in that store

Lawrenceville, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

To TX1: Cancun is known for accepting the US dollar. If the one place where I will be spending cash (Sams Club) did not accept US dollars, I would have exchanged funds. The fact that they happen to do so is convenient. Guess what? Depending on where I wanted to spend cash in San Diego, there are a lot of places here that accept both pesos and dollars. I didn't ask if I should only take US dollars on my trip. I asked about a specific shop. What you choose to do when you travel is your business and what I choose to do is mine. You have no right to judge.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

I am not judging but thats a real trip to Mexico--go to Sams and spend dollars ha ha.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

Not judging herkxena -

I just find it sad to see parts of Mexico becoming Americanized because of lazy Americans.

Lawrenceville, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Sams Club Cancun Accept US Dollars

Cancun was "americanized" when the hotel zone was first built in the 1970's/1980's. The goal was to attract cruise ships/US tourists to the Caribbean side of Mexico to rival the tourism trade that was in place for Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco on the Pacific side. Don't believe me? Read up on your history of the development of Cancun. It's not like I am going into the interior of Mexico and trying to introduce my "american" ways.